Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting >

A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting

Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting

Last night I was doing some stump shooting and came across not one but two 3 ft. in diameter fresh scrapes complete with the chewed overhanging limbs and all. I honestly have never seen this before and I'm literally in the woods 365 days a year. Anybody else ever seen this?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting

scrapes in the spring? I see them all the time in the fall....as do most guys during/near the rut.....

Have you done much deer hunting in the last 45years? near the rut? do you scout much at all?

I suppose if you have very few bucks in an area it would be possible to not see them, but I'm surprised by that one.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I've seen them in february but never this late.I have read they use them year round to some degree.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

I live to hunt and hunt to live! I'm in the woods year round for the sole purpose of keeping track of the local deer herd and movements. The bow I killed this year was only 50 yds. from the place I found these scrapes and I shot him in the rut working over a scrape. I honestly don't get this one. I too have seen a flurry of scrape activity in the month of Feb. but this is a strange one.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ah gotcha, so you have seen scrapes before....haha, I was a tad worried about ya.

I think they use them year round...some anyway.....
Old 05-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I read that in some states the deer will make scrapes through out the year. These are not territorial scrapes thought they are used to identify their home range and trails. I have never found a scrape this early in the year in Wi. But have heard people finding some fresh ones. I think youll be suprised most of the early season scrapes like this one is probably being made by a doe. Thats what I read in one of the Bow Hunter magazines......I think it was Bow Hunter.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow thats weird
Old 05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I saw a lot of scrapes in late March during turkey season in south Bama, but havn't been back up there since then to look around.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found 2 different scrapes last week while Turkey hunting! Fresh as can be hoof prints and all! I can go into a spot and count on a scrape being there all year long. I don't know what to make of it just a marking post of some sorts I guess!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure these arent dusting bowls from the turkeys and the deer just happen to be walking through them or digging for mineral in them....i have a bunch of them scattered around my field edges....

Quick Reply: A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.