HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/246936-first-over-45-yrs-hunting.html)

longbowman2 05-22-2008 08:43 AM

A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting

Last night I was doing some stump shooting and came across not one but two 3 ft. in diameter fresh scrapes complete with the chewed overhanging limbs and all. I honestly have never seen this before and I'm literally in the woods 365 days a year. Anybody else ever seen this?

salukipv1 05-22-2008 09:10 AM

RE: A First in over 45 yrs. of hunting

scrapes in the spring? I see them all the time in the fall....as do most guys during/near the rut.....

Have you done much deer hunting in the last 45years? near the rut? do you scout much at all?

I suppose if you have very few bucks in an area it would be possible to not see them, but I'm surprised by that one.

recurver167 05-22-2008 09:27 AM

I've seen them in february but never this late.I have read they use them year round to some degree.

longbowman2 05-22-2008 09:35 AM

I live to hunt and hunt to live! I'm in the woods year round for the sole purpose of keeping track of the local deer herd and movements. The bow I killed this year was only 50 yds. from the place I found these scrapes and I shot him in the rut working over a scrape. I honestly don't get this one. I too have seen a flurry of scrape activity in the month of Feb. but this is a strange one.

salukipv1 05-22-2008 10:56 AM

ah gotcha, so you have seen scrapes before....haha, I was a tad worried about ya.

I think they use them year round...some anyway.....

wis_bow_huntr 05-22-2008 12:34 PM

I read that in some states the deer will make scrapes through out the year. These are not territorial scrapes thought they are used to identify their home range and trails. I have never found a scrape this early in the year in Wi. But have heard people finding some fresh ones. I think youll be suprised most of the early season scrapes like this one is probably being made by a doe. Thats what I read in one of the Bow Hunter magazines......I think it was Bow Hunter.

Steven McBee 05-22-2008 02:06 PM

wow thats weird

timbercruiser 05-22-2008 07:46 PM

I saw a lot of scrapes in late March during turkey season in south Bama, but havn't been back up there since then to look around.

BowHuntingFool 05-22-2008 10:42 PM

I found 2 different scrapes last week while Turkey hunting! Fresh as can be hoof prints and all! I can go into a spot and count on a scrape being there all year long. I don't know what to make of it just a marking post of some sorts I guess!

wis_bow_huntr 05-23-2008 05:12 AM

Sure these arent dusting bowls from the turkeys and the deer just happen to be walking through them or digging for mineral in them....i have a bunch of them scattered around my field edges....