Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How To Scout

Old 02-23-2003, 06:07 PM

Default How To Scout

Hi. I am 14 and this is only my second year of hunting coming up this fall. I was wondering if anyone could explain what to look for when I go scouting, and then when I find it how to utilize for my benefit. I learned a lot my first year hunting, I know many more things not to do than I know to do.

Thanks in advance.

plinker

" I hope this works." -Famous Last Words
Old 02-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How To Scout

Plinker the last few issues of Bowhunter mag.have had
some good articles on scouting you might log on to
their site you can see the articles there,good luck,good hunting!
Old 02-23-2003, 08:01 PM

while im scouting, i look for bedding areas and feeding areas and try to set up between them. Also during the summer ill ride by spots that hold alot of deer and scout long range with either binoculars or a spotting scope.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with wickman. set up between bedding and feeding. that way you can catch them on there way from bedding to feeding. or vis versa. also rubs are importnat. that shows that a buck is marking his teritory. the bigger the scrape usualy the bigger the buck. also they mark their teritory by urine or by scraping the ground. this tells you that a buck is in the area.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way to scout is early and walk the area you' ll be hunting to become familar with it and different aspects to deer movement. I like to scout when shed hunting as my base, then walk trails looking for funnels, draws, routes, rubs, food/water, etc. Once summer has arrived I like to scout from a distance, watching what, where and who' s feeding...I look for how they enter, time, etc. I agree your best bet is to set up inbetween where they are going and coming from. As you become fimilar with deer movement in the area, your scouting can be more pine point. But basically good old fashion walking, looking and studing is the key.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:27 AM

Try to get out in late summer before the bachelor groups of bucks break up to get an idea of what caliber of bucks are in your hunting area.Late summer and early fall deer habits can vary from early winter post frost and leaf drop.It pays to know where they hang out both times of the year.Rub lines will show where bucks travel back and forth right at pre rut and can really help pin point their core areas during the rut.Scouting right after hunting season can be productive also as you don' t have to worry about spooking the deer as much and you see where they are right during the hunting season.Even while hunting I' m scouting for knowledge on where the bucks are traveling and spending their daylight hours.Scouting early/late/and during will make you a smarter hunter.

woods
Old 02-24-2003, 01:52 PM

Thanks for all the information, guys. I' ll put it to use and we' ll see the results next season.

plinker

Know ' em, Hunt ' em, Eat ' em
Old 02-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remember that deer movements at this time of years may not be the same early next season. Example would be if you had some good white oak trees. They drop early in the season and are loved by the deer for a short time frame. Pre harvested agriculture fields are another example. Good scrape areas are usually good year after year.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:15 PM

Check out the rubs and scrapes from the past year. They sometimes will use them in following years. Even if a buck is harvested, younger bucks seem to take over these rub lines and scrapes. If you hunt a particular area, make a rough drawing of the area, marking certain landmarks. Mark these rubs and scrapes on it. You may notice that some of them will show the route that a particular buck is taking through the woods by connecting the " dots" . With this knowledge, you may then be able to see a faint trail that you missed before. I made a sketch of my hunting area in the paint program and keep updating it as I find new sightings. I even note on it any deer that I see during any scouting trips. It' s my type of profiling the deer.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: How To Scout

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.