Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rut

Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM

Default rut

Is the rut timeing due to geography, genetics, or environment.
And can you move does from one area to another and change rut timeing
What isthe timeing for the rut in your area
The deer in my area of texas will rut in early october and secondary rut mid november, I haveread this is because deer were transplanted here from southern Louisiana years ago. (Mid Gulf of Mexico coastal plains)
Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rut

Moon Phase- environment plays a role as well, deer in the deep south dont begin rutting nearly as soon as they do up north.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I heard someone came up with a complex formula for calculating it.......I think everything comes into a play......

there are probably some simple ways out there to estimate, but then some year itll be way off, hence its complicated.....kinda like easter being so early this year.......

just be in the field and when it gets hot, stay there!

I think area to area can vary greatly too, go 2-3miles from your place and the rut may not even be happening, but have a hot doe in your area and watch out......
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM

That is a good question.... The rut here in GA kicks off about the 3rd weekend of Nov. (this is somewhat dictatded by how cold, cold mornings can start it up sooner) In AL I have always heard that the rut doesnt kick off till about Jan or even Feb. What I have heard before is that years ago (60-70's) the deer population in GA and other parts of the south got way low, so they imported deer from the northeastern states, thgis strand of deer ruted early in the season, and the deer in AL or more native to the south. Now I dont know how much of this is actually true, but I have been hearing that for a long time.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

normally the weather plays a factor, somewhat
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it is the changing daylight hours, I am pretty sure that is the main cause.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

photoperiodism

dealing with the length of time the rut should only last about 45 days, however, due to poor buck to doe ratios in some areas it sometimes goes up to 90 days presently which is nooottttt good for the bucks nor the does
Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Photoperiodism (decreasing daylight hours) is what begins to trigger the onset of the rut. The second moon after the Fall Equinox throws is what really fires the rut up and gets it going.

Weather plays little role in the timeing of the rut. It can, however, effect rutting activity. Cold, dry weather stimulates sexual activity. On the contrary, heat destroys sperm and decreases activity and the majority of the rutting activity will take place at night.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:25 AM

There is a good explanation of what causes the timing of the rut (the timingdiiffers in different areas), and a chart of peak rut dates and the length of the rut for almost every stateat http://www.trmichels.com/RutDates.htm
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure that there are many interlocking causes but my guide buddies go by daylight hours, 2nd fall full moon, and cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.