Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

disposal of deer remains

Old 02-20-2003, 06:49 PM

Default disposal of deer remains

I live in a small village and don' t have a convenient way to dispose of the deer carcass after butchering my deer. Digging a hole is a lot of work and impossible when the ground is frozen. How do you solve this problem?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: disposal of deer remains

I quarter the deer in the field and leave the spinal cord, ribs, pelvis, and skin in the field to be disposed of as nature intended, by critters and bacteria. The head and the leg bones left after deboning and processing I double bag in strong garbage bags and put them out with the regular trash.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually just throw mine out near the edge of one of my fields in hopes of shooting a varmint off of them.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:50 AM

After we are done deboneing(sp?), we just take the heads, bones etc.. out to the land that we hunt on and throw them into a gully created by water runoff. Like the last poster stated, the critters and nature will take care of what we throw out there.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:51 AM

Give the remains back to nature, it' ll know what to do with them. Just don' t throw the remains next to a busy area where other people will see them. All that will do is give ammo to the anti' s.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bag it and out with the trash.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy has a " mulch" pile in his back yard where he throws his old grass clippings. Since it isn' t hard packed earth it is easier to dig into and cover up.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:44 PM

try to throw them in a gulley or ravine. or into an are not frequented by people.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Box it up and mail it to someone ya dont like...naw just kidding. If ya live in the city and can' t bring the remains back to the land where you shot it. Just bag it and put it in the trash.
Or

You could debone it next time out in the place where you down the animal. Takes about 2 hours of your time.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:59 PM

Great ideas;thanks guys. I hesitate to bring back the remains where I shot the deer as the landowner would not approve. I can' t take the remains to the dump as they don' t allow it. I do have a good size compost pile and that is a great alternative. How long does it take to " decompose" ? Don' t the local critters dig it up? Next time I may quarter the animal and take the backstraps,but isn' t this a rather messy and unsanitary procedure in the woods?

Quick Reply: disposal of deer remains

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.