Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

will it do anything?!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 AM

Default will it do anything?!

i just got a new property and i was just wondering if hiking through the woods will scare away the deer?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: will it do anything?!

No
Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are skidish but walking through the woods won't do a single thing. Many times you can bust a deer and its back in an hour. Don't worry hike away.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

it really seems to hold true that when you aren't hunting deer, they don't feel like they're being hunted, and don't really mind having you walk through.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

many people on here are going to say it won't hurt your deer at all. in my experience the younger deer and does don't mind it at all, the bigger deer (4-7 yrs old)often avoid an area you bumped them. if you are a trophy hunter you should consider making some big areas complete sancuary's. the less you bump deer out, and the less smell you can leave in the woods the bigger the deer you might see. if you are a meat hunter and don't care what size of animal you shoot, that is fine, i would say go for it.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 AM

imo, the more human scent is in an area, the less likely deer will mind if you go through. on the farm i worked on the areas where we always were, the deer were less spooked by human scent when we were hunting. they get used to if if its there long enough, but if your just goin through once a week for a hike then id say stay away if you want a keeper!