Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Fawns??

Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 PM

Default RE: Shooting Fawns??

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

Duh!!Every deer has a 50% chance of making it through the winter,either they do,or they don't..
LMAO ^ I don't shoot fawns, never will unless the mother was shot and there is no way the fawn will survive without the mother. Even then i'm not even sure if it's legal in ohio.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

Duh!!Every deer has a 50% chance of making it through the winter,either they do,or they don't..
Very funny but very true..
Old 04-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

50% of the fawns could be mature bucks some day.
I say leave the veal alone, unless it's the last hour of hunting and you want some meat!
But the last 1/2 hour is the best, so you could screw up your chance for the big one???!!!
So many choices
Old 04-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me shooting or not shooting immature deer is more about how much venison I get for the effort. $ per lb. it's more expensive to take a little oneand I prefer to take a very large farm doe if possible... but then again the little ones are so tender!

I've taken a couple really little ones in my years, but it was my last day to hunt and the only good shot I'd been presented with for the time period I'd been out....sure was tender and light colored flesh. Very mild. And a pleasure to drag! (actually just folded it twice and put it in my day-bag)

JK
Old 04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Those little ones are the best eating ones. I try to always shoot a bambi for the freezer. My family loves deer meat.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, a deer will make it, or not make it, 100% of the time. (% live + % dead = 100%)

In Southern Iowa, where I hunt, winter weather related mortality is not a significant factor. Way more than 90% probably survive the average winter. Fawns without spots do not have much trouble. Fawns with spot have more trouble but may survive.

I'll say it again, I shoot fawns. I expect those hunting with me to shoot antlerless deer also. The state, and the land owner (my cousin) both want numbers reduced. Doe tags are cheap, and party hunting is legal, so this does not keep anyone in my party from shooting a trophy if given the chance. I am the one in my party who is responsible to my cousin. I do prefer that small bucks and buttons be given a pass but I do not worry too much about buttons.

I have a bit of a problem with those who will not shoot a fawn IF THEY HUNT IN AN AREA THAT HAS A SURPLUS OF DEER. Who can explain this Bambi loving attitude to me. Is a fawn not a deer? If you can only get one tag, that is one thing, but c'mon, meat is meat, and fawn meat is the best.

I was buying some snacks to carry in the field and had a Qwik Trip clerk ask me, "You wouldn't shoot Bambi would you?" I answered, "I would shoot Bambi AND Bambi's mother and little sister too."

I would really like to know why some of you will not shoot fawns. There are some good reasons but "I would never shoot a fawn." makes you sound like a card carrying PETA lurker who is sand bagging us.

Just think, if you shoot a fawn, there is a 100% chance that it will not be winter kill.

Bob
Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Whack em' and Stack em'!
Old 04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem tagging one when given the shot opportunity
Old 04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

And an equally good chance of being a buck someday.
Not if its a doe fawn.

Leave the fawns alone
No.

Where I hunt, the herd needs thinning. Any doe from 6 months to ......... that gives me an opportunity is going to be taken.

Steve

Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot them they taste good . nice and tender

Quick Reply: Shooting Fawns??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.