Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deerstand question

Old 04-11-2008, 04:52 AM

Default Deerstand question

hey Board,

I'm a new hunter, this past season I killed my first deer. I have an opportunity of joining a hunting club out of state and would like to put up a deer stand. I would like to purchase or build a box stand (Maybe large enough for myself and wife) Any recommendations? I am not very experienced with building but I'm willing to try. I have hunted out of stands that are anywhere between 6-12ft off the ground. The area is heavily wooded timber (Pine, Oak) if that helps.

Thanks Again,

Mignolafan
Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deerstand question

Check out a post in this section...probaly a few pages ago that is entitled "Homemade stands". There were some great pictures and ideas in that thread.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 PM

ive always seen stands 12-15 or more feet, not 6-10, so you might want to consider that in your plans. in my climber ill go up pretty danghigh as long as i feel comfortable for scent control
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Usually a box stand, or " SHOOTING HOUSE " is mean to be however high it needs to be for good view and no higher. some sit on the ground, some a foot up, for that little bit of extra viewing distance, if you need to see far off and cant front the ground i suggest you build it higher, too high is overkill in most places i would say though, if you want to get high get a climber ...
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about a 2 man ladder stand? Just use some camo material/burlap around the front for concealment.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the 2-man ladder stands have the camo "Blinds" available for an extra price,it does help conceal you better and will block some wind only problem is the back of the blinds still leave the back of the ladder stand open and you also have cold wind blowing up through the bottom of the wire mesh floor of the stand.Be sure to check with the Hunting Club to see if it is alright to build a Box Stand there.Be sure to place the Bow Stand in a very good area because as you know you can't move those around.

Another option would be a Camo Ground Blind to hunt out of if you need to be concealled and protected from the weather and harsh elements!You can also move them easily and they can be taken down quickly if you don't want to leave them there permanetly.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks guys for all the good info. I've been looking at all the options out there. I will check with the hunt club about building a stand. I also like the idea of a ground blind and the two man ladder stand. My wife has expressed interest in deer hunting as well, so that could be cool.

Thanks Again
Mig
Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose plans/blueprints can help, but I feel if you couldn't come up with a solid design on your own you probably shouldn't be building a homeade stand.....a ground blind go for it, but ya anything 15-20' in the air I'd be weary of with no prior building experience.

Also sometiems time/money buying a nice stand is actually cheaper....lighter, last longer etc....

One thing I do suggest is I've really noticed you get what you pay for, typically with all treestands, I've bought a few stands that sounded great on the box/ad, only to get and find out they're not as amazing as the ad etc.....recently passed up another great deal on a stand because I had a bolt on from the company that while alright, could've been much nicer and hadn't been. Also bigger/more room IMO is the way to go....but if you're sitting in stand for only a few hrs each morning/evening then anything should be comfy enough, its when you're up there all day....
Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would opt for a heavy made aluminum two man ladder stand. You can either build a top or buy one and take camo plastic tarp and make sidesand back. A bundle of zip ties and a drill are about all you need. These stands can be moved easily in case you happen to pick a non productive area or if for some reason you chose to not hunt with the club in the future or they lose their lease for some reason. Paper companies are continuing to sell of their lands in our area..
Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gpower1

ive always seen stands 12-15 or more feet, not 6-10, so you might want to consider that in your plans. in my climber ill go up pretty danghigh as long as i feel comfortable for scent control
Well in Iowa, the most common stand is a box stand, it is exactly what it sounds like, a box with no roof and one side cut out for a door, and the tallest ive seen was about 6 feet off the ground, which is all you need, because the Iowa shotgun season is only like 5 days, and the hunting is all based on pressure and deer drives, and you only have shots at about 50 yards (average).

Mignolafan, all you need is some playwood, a forklift crate, some 4x4's, and some 2x4's, is is pretty easy to doo, and like previously stated, you can find plans on the internet!

Quick Reply: Deerstand question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.