Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

having some difficulty...

Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM

Default having some difficulty...

I went out today on my first hunt this season, (buddy got crop damage so no worries) but i sat in my ground blind for 5 hours and didn't see a thing...now I saw tons of deer signs, footprints, droppings, and rub marks all over the trees in that area... I set out cracked corn and an block of salt/corn/mollases lick for the last 2 days and there were signs that they both were tampered with... is there any call I can use to bring them in during this time of the year? i know its not the rut so antler clashing is not a good call but could someone give me a suggestion?? thanks a ton...
Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 PM

Default RE: having some difficulty...

Why would you want to call them in if it isnt season?????
Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM

because like i said he has a "crop damage license" which entitles him to protect his crops out of season...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Deer are sociable so you can still grunt, that might raise their curiosity and thay may come in. put out whole corn and you wont need nothing to call them with.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would hunt the crops that the deer are suppose to be damaging instead of sitting on a corn pile.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I would hunt the crops that the deer are suppose to be damaging instead of sitting on a corn pile.
Great point - makes sense to me.

Rather than sit over bait, I would "cruise the timbers" to see where they spend most of their time.
If that don't work, stick to timbercruiser's idea.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 AM

Seeing deer sign only tells that deer have been in that area or use that route for travel. It however doesn't tell you WHEN they were there. Deer move on a pattern most of the time, especially in the off season. You need know when they are in a certain spot for it to do you any good. There is a good chance the place you are at they only visit at night so you will probably never see them. Remember deer are mostly nocturnal. The key is to catch them on the way to a food source or on the way back in the evening or morning.

Paul
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Why would you need to set out corn and mineral blocks if your friend is haveing so much crop damage?Seems to me that if your friend is haveing that big of a problem you wouldn't need to set over a corn pile...Think about it!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is why its called hunting. If you saw or killed something every time it would be called shooting.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 AM

I wanted to challenge myself a bit rather just sit in a corn field looking for deer to come in... like i said im inexperience and wanted some time in the woods just outside the field... practice makes perfect and just laying down in a field doesn't seem to much like practice considering 100% of the hunting i'll be doing will be woodland...

Quick Reply: having some difficulty...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.