Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Please! I Need Help With College Paper (deer reduction hunting) >

Please! I Need Help With College Paper (deer reduction hunting)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please! I Need Help With College Paper (deer reduction hunting)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Please! I Need Help With College Paper (deer reduction hunting)

hey guys! my name is Zach and I am writting a paper on deer reduction hunts for my environmental conservation calss at the University of Southern Indiana. I have to do research and get info from other people. I am needing your thoughts and opinions on deer reduction hunts in over populated areas as well as state parks. What do you believe to be some of the positives and negatives. I will be needing your first name, Also I need you tolist what you do for a living, as well as the state you live in.

Thanks to everyone,
Zach
Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please! I Need Help With College Paper (deer reduction hunting)

One positive in deer reduction hunts (in regard to overpopulated county/township parks) is that the deer herd becomes much healthier when DNR people go in and take out a lot of does.. Also, it helps curb deer/car accidents that frequently happen during the rut..

Adam Bowman
Southwest Ohio
University of Cincinnati
Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

O yea....Adam, Cincinnati, Student and Property Manager, 22 years old
Old 03-21-2008, 05:26 PM

I definately believe that herd reduction in specific areas are a necessity, due to the fact that many states (especially in the south) spent alot of time and money reintroducing deer into certain areas due to an almost depletion of deer in those areas, now the herds(with proper management) are flourishing and the reduction hunts must be utilized to keep that population at a happy medium (especially in congested areas) I believe we will see more of an outcry for herd reduction due to the urban sprawl that is hitting the rural areas ( a major factor in West TN)

If you need contacts for any states game and fish commision heres a link that i found a few months ago while looking for some phone numbers (makes it much easier to have it on one page)
http://pandemicflu.gov/plan/states/statecontacts.html

Tad, 25yrs old, Police officer, memphis,TN
Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

1) If you are talking about government hunters culling herds, I am adamantly opposed to this form of herd reduction. There are more than enough citizens who would PAY to do this. I think that it is an obomination for our governmental bodies to steal a recreational opportunity from some of its citizens, making them pay for the theft in taxes at that, just because hunting is not politically correct for other citizens.

2) If you are talking about regulated special herd reduction hunts that citizens may participate in, then I am in favor of the herd reduction hunts. They have such hunts here in Iowa. State park hunts are in conjunction with the regular first shotgun season, and elveated stand antlerless archery hunts are held in urban areas.

[Iowa City, Iowa, is a PC sink hole of liberalism and they pay a pest control company (I think it is a Jersey company at that.) that uses sharpshooters and night spotlighting to reduce their deer herd. This costs Iowa City tax payers tens of thousands of dollars every year while other entities in the state probably at least break even on their hunts. Other cities consider firearm hunting too risky in the limits but Iowa City would apparently rather accept this risk and impose it on its citizens than, GASP, actually allowing the urban deer herd to provide a recreational experience for those evil, throw back, Neandethal citizens in their midst who actually want to hunt.]

Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Zach,

You will find some good info here:

http://www.deeralliance.com/index.php

Good luck on the paper.

Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Yes, these are needed in some areas. I've been participating in a program where at one point the deer herd topped 100 per sq mile. Road kills topped 300 per year in a 10 sq mile area. These are good in many ways and really help the deer herd. Negatives might be, people hunting very close to houses and wounded deer never being recovered but the municipality makes you take a shooting test and label your arrows w/ your name and phone # to help control that. Positive in many ways, I'd rather a deer be taken, butchered and used rather than laying on the side of the road.

In some areas, I believe that the reintroduction to coyotes has been a real problem and totally wiped out deer herds. I've heard stories about people putting a trail cam near a coyote den for 10 days w/ time stamps on the photos. In that time 23 fawn were taken into the den by the coyotes. That much I can tell you totally destroys the deer herd.

Charlie
Pittsburgh, PA