Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 TICK CONTROLL?  What can you do?? >

TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

Hey guys.. here on longisland.. the deer are pretty good size, great racks because of so many farms they ear very well. My question to you is.. the problem with hunting on longisland is the Ticks.. if you dnot have a tree stand, which is almost impossible because its all state land, and unless you lug all the equipment in, including climber stand.. its just too much.. in a matter of 4 hours you could have 20+ ticks all over you.. unless theres snow on the ground. During bow season, which starts in october they are full of ticks.. what do you guys do besides put the socks over pants and blah blah blah for the ticks? any kind of repelent? anything?
thanks..
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

There is a Scent Shield product called No Stinkin' Ticks (fall blend earth scent) that works pretty well. It contains Permethrin as its active ingredient. This product is basically for treating clothing. Follow the directions on the can (it's an aerosol BTW). Skin repellants containing DEET are also helpful and may be used in conjunction with the Scent Shield product.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I have used a Permethrin spray for the last three years and I have not been bitten by a tick nor has one been found in the house.

I have always used the spray and I was not aware of the other options for treating my clothes. Thank you for the post Snoodslapper.

I also spray the floor of the garage where I hang my deer to get any ticks that were on the deer. My wife parks in the garage and if she got bitten by a tick it would not go over very well.

Bob
Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Repel Permethin spray has worked well for me over the last few years. I have actually applied it to all of my clothes except my gloves and had ticks stop and dig in at my hand but didn't find them anywhere else. Now I apply it to EVERYTHING that I wear. It really works.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

I know on our farm we used to have a huge tick problem. I don't know if this is your land or public land but we burned our pasture in preparation for an overhaul of our farm into a more wildlife friendly sactuary with warm and cool season grasses and approx. 7500 trees. Anyway, we burned it two years in a row and haven't had a tick on me since. I'm sure they'll come back eventually but I've been tick free for two years now.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Permanone, it works.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Permanone, it works.
Yeah, I think that is the brand name of the Repel permethin based product. That stuff works really well.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

shave my head
Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

this is gonna sound ridiculous but i had like five guinea hens, and the year after we got them we souldn't find a tick
Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's not ridiculous at all. It's widely known that Guinea's will pick a yard clean of ticks and other insects.

Quick Reply: TICK CONTROLL? What can you do??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.