Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Summit or API

Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Summit or API

ok i need a new stand for next season and i'm torn what would yall recommend because i just cant decide but i need to upgrade summits and APIs both look awesome so what are pros and cons of each
Old 03-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Summit or API

I've only used a Bullet Backpacker Summit..

Pros

Safe

Quiet climber ..I can be absolutely silent climbing and unclimbing..the cables are rubberized.
Can stand and shoot nearly 360 degrees.

Pretty darn comfortable ..can sit a long time.

Quiet and comfortable when back packing in.

Cons..

The Bullet is not like the Viper and takes about 5 to 10 minutesto set up..I uusually have mine already set up and locked up..took me about 5 tries to get comfortable packing and unpacking it..but now I can do it blindfolded.

Cost is a little steep..I paid 300.00 for mine.

Summary ...I plan to buy another .There is no price tag for safety and comfort..

Note the olive green metal showing on the picture below..On mine I camo duct taped all of that so when you fold and unfold there are no noises..The rubberized taped muffled out the noises.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've never used an API but i LOVE my Summit. it's dang near more comfortable than my Tree Lounge but easier to pack in and out and quiter.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Summit...

Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I love my summit, too. Climbs great and is very comfortable. It needs a shooting rest IMO. Never had a api.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have two APIs...There are 2 reasons an API is a better stand for a gun hunter...

1) The rest, mine both have a removable, padded rest that is a rail tye rest...
Several years ago, Summit had a dinky Y-type gun rest, but you couldn't change the elavation like you can on the API...

2) It is easy to lock an API to the tree...Buy 4 long shank locks, remove the pins that go through the climbing chain and replace with the locks, if someone steals it, they have to cut the chain or the frame of the stand...
Old 03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

ok thank you guys for your input my family has all used api's for a long time with great success but i was very onterested in the summit its a tough choice but i sure need to do somethin the climber i have right now has no doubt been in the nightmares of a few deer but its a dinosaur and definately time to upgrade i REALLY like the looks of the cable climbing system it seems faster and more user friendly than the chain
Old 03-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I have two APIs...There are 2 reasons an API is a better stand for a gun hunter...

1) The rest, mine both have a removable, padded rest that is a rail tye rest...
Several years ago, Summit had a dinky Y-type gun rest, but you couldn't change the elavation like you can on the API...

2) It is easy to lock an API to the tree...Buy 4 long shank locks, remove the pins that go through the climbing chain and replace with the locks, if someone steals it, they have to cut the chain or the frame of the stand...
i have a padded shooting rest on my Goliath