Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to approach a dead deer?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to approach a dead deer?

How does everyone approach a dead deer? Walk up to it, poke it, kick it? The GOLDEN rule is to approach it down wind and from behind if both situations are possible. I personally walk up to it from behind and give him a little nudge on their back leg, this way if they are stilll alive when they get up to run off you are out of the way.

It really blows my mind to see the people on t.v walk right up to it and poke the deer on its forehead or worse yet in its eye (Deer do not die with their eyes closed, always open). Do they just not think? HELLO. If you the deer is still alive and if its a racked buck those antlers are probably going to be pretty painful.

Just venting...
Old 03-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to approach a dead deer?

You have to remember, you can't go off what they do in the hunting shows when walking up to a dead deer.

Most of them actually go find the deer first, make sure it's dispatched, then back up a ways and then do the filming of the walk up to the deer. They only poke it as a formality to make sure that YOU see them poking the deer, promoting safe hunting. Truth is, that deers already been poked in the ass before.

One of the hunting show I saw over the winter, you could actually see the footprints of their first walk up to the deer, yet the guy was saying things like "I think it went this way, OOOH, Is that it?! Is that it!? OOhhh myy gosh!!!!"

I poke mine in the ass with the end of my barrel. Then circle around it and check it's eyes.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 AM

I poke it in the rump with my gun barrel and then go around the front make sure it dead....and then its all smiles
Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

If its dead, it doesn'tmake adifferenceonhow you approach it..
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

just go up to it andtouch it somewhere
Old 03-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the shows usually carry a bottle of water and paper towels to clean up the mouth, etc before turning the camera back on also.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I put a couple of finishing shots in it before I walk up on it. You can never be too cautious.

P.S. I'm just kidding.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

I put a couple of finishing shots in it before I walk up on it. You can never be too cautious.

P.S. I'm just kidding.

Hey I had to do just that this year with my buck. But I knew he was alive still. I put a shot through the boiler room to put him down for good. Watched him take his last breath. I still walked up and poked him with my gun. Even though he was only ten feet away with my last shot.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:42 PM

in the Hunter Education Course i took we were told to poke em in the but n watch for a blinking reflex- since the deer could be in shock.
but im deerless so i wouldnt know to much
Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Fork Horn

Well what I usually do.. if im feelling a little "silly" is i like to take a small branch and tickle the deerz Balls a lil.. to see if i get a reaction.. if its a doe.. i go after the nipples.. usually the top right nip.. but.. thats just me..
hahahah

Quick Reply: How to approach a dead deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.