Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mount times

Old 03-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mount times

Some of the turn around times depends on if a guy does it full time or part time. The guy I went to does awesome work but only does it part time. I went to him in the middle of gun season and I'm sure I was 30-40 in maybe more. I'm sure he has far more than that. He's part time and takes 8-9 months. in fact I still have my antlers waiting on him to get to mine.

A guy that does it full time can probably do many more. I think turn around time isn't the best thing to go by. When I was looking for a taxi I heard many people around here tell me a guy he knows gets them back to you in.... Nothing about how great the mount looked. With me I want a quality job. I looked at the guys work and realy liked it. So thats what impressed me.

Another friend of mine does his own. He said if you have a for you can literaly shoot it in the morning and hand it on the wall that night using dry-tan. His mounts look pretty good but I was told to steer away from dri-tan. He is helping me do last years doe myself so I'll see side by side how they last.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: maglite

Any good taxidermist is a year behind.
and you can only kill a deer with a magnum rifle
Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any good taxidermist is a year behind. That shows he has business and is probably very credible. I had a shop for 5 years till I got divorced and u know what happened there and I was a year behind and was very busy
I agree and disagree with you. My taxidermist doesn't do it on a full time basis anymore. He takes what he can handle and thats it. My buck took 4.5 months to get done, it turned out excellent. He didn't do the tanning himself either, it was sent off. In most cases a good taxidermist is behind, I do wish though they would take what they can handle instead of leaving the guy hanging for a few years.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

roughly anywhere from 8 months to one year
Old 03-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

we normally get ours back in about 5 months, the taxi sends out the hides, and hes always very very busy
Old 03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Any good taxidermist is a year behind. That shows he has business and is probably very credible. I had a shop for 5 years till I got divorced and u know what happened there and I was a year behind and was very busy
I agree and disagree with you. My taxidermist doesn't do it on a full time basis anymore. He takes what he can handle and thats it. My buck took 4.5 months to get done, it turned out excellent. He didn't do the tanning himself either, it was sent off. In most cases a good taxidermist is behind, I do wish though they would take what they can handle instead of leaving the guy hanging for a few years.

I guess so with your bear problem....

Old 03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dropped my 8-Point Buck off at the Taxi around Nov.14,2007 and it won't be finished until Aug. 2008, so I'm looking at a 9 month wait until my "Baby" is done! [:@]

If I would have shot my Buck on the 1st opening weekend of Deer Season I would have only had a 2 to 5 month wait! My great Nephew still had his 2006 Buck in his freezer so I told him he better get in there before Rifle Season starts and when he did he only had to wait for 2 months to get his Buck Mount back!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

i usaully get european mounts so like 4 months
Old 03-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I guess so with your bear problem....

Anytime now Jason and it should be home!! Last I heard he was putting the border on that goes on the outside part of the rug. I'm thinking this next week it will be home!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

6 months... Give or take a month or two...

Quick Reply: Mount times

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.