HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   The smells of hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/237208-smells-hunting.html)

AAA 03-13-2008 10:51 AM

The smells of hunting

Iwas walking into a convenience store today when I passed by an idling diesel pickup. The first thing that popped into my head when the smell hit my nose was HUNTING! About the only time I'm exposed to the sweet smell of burnt diesel are my annual hunting trips out of state. One of my hunting buddies has always had diesels and now the smell triggers those memories.
I was wondering what smells trigger your fondest hunting memories?

brushbustin 03-13-2008 10:59 AM

RE: The smells of hunting

The smell of dried scent killer and alot of it.I had my face mask in my pack with my scent killer,and the bottle came open and soaked my mask.Well i dried it out and wore it all day and that is all i smelled,the smell of dirt,and i killed a good buck that day to.Every time i use my scent killer or get a wiff of it,i think of that day.

bryant1 03-13-2008 10:59 AM

Smell of hound dogs and gun powder! Also sardines, which i eat occasionally for lunch:D

kmunny19 03-13-2008 11:53 AM

Honestly, (and disgustingly), sometimes my brother will have gas that smellspretty similar to gutting a deer when the stomach is open. Not like I seek out this smell, but its a definite memory trigger.

AAA 03-13-2008 12:21 PM

You are NOT saying that the smell of you brothers a$$ reminds you of hunting are you? Thats the best one yet!!!

lifesadrag 03-13-2008 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: kmunny19

Honestly, (and disgustingly), sometimes my brother will have gas that smellspretty similar to gutting a deer when the stomach is open. Not like I seek out this smell, but its a definite memory trigger.
Couldn't you come up with just one smell a little more pleasant than that....that's a bad memory trigger.

Remnard 03-13-2008 02:40 PM

That would trigger me to kick my brothers @$$ whenever he farted around me.

Remnard 03-13-2008 02:41 PM

Hoppes and remoil does it for me. Beef jerky too.

kmunny19 03-13-2008 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

Couldn't you come up with just one smell a little more pleasant than that....that's a bad memory trigger.
I wish I could, but that's the one that sticks out.

halfrack VIII 03-13-2008 04:21 PM

TINKS 69

ultra man 03-14-2008 12:24 AM

I'd have to say Hoppee's, and hot choclate. Dad always fixed some for us when he would wake us up to go hunting. (I usually couldn't sleep anyhow)

Chuck7 03-14-2008 03:20 AM

and the sounds of coyotes , wild boar,and various owls before daylight.

The smell of my Thermo Cell ...;)

texas8point 03-14-2008 04:30 AM

The smell of smoke........someone burning leaves or a fireplace......reminds me of the lease........and if the weather is cool and smokey, its over !

mnbirddog 03-14-2008 05:44 AM

To me, the smell that reminds me it's time; really reminds me to get ready to bird hunt! Thats the wet rain in the late summer/early fall when everything smells like dirt. I LOVE IT!! Almost fires me up as much as the dogs love it!

125py 03-14-2008 06:42 AM

Hoyt_Viper 03-14-2008 10:19 AM

Tinks 69
I hear ya! I was using the gel this year and the top cam off in my backpack. Its still there after washing it!

I have to say that while raking leaves, reminds me of the "fresh earth" cover scent, or an old bottle of Halston cologne I have that smells like the "acorn" scent.

OKbowhunter20 03-14-2008 10:40 AM

Whenever Im our shooting the smell of gunpowder always brings back some great memories....I love that smell!!

cjwink 03-14-2008 11:08 AM

Skunks.... My uncle used to put out Skunk Screen when we went hunting.. Now each time I pass a dead one on the road it reminds me of those times.. BTW, my wife thinks I am strange because I like the way it smells. :D

Jasonlester 03-14-2008 11:32 AM

The buck I shot this year reaked of the rut. Man did he stink.I'll remember that hunt anytime I smell that again.

Fresh earth sent is one I love too.

GTOHunter 03-15-2008 04:05 PM

When I smell dry leaves it reminds me of going hunting....that and the plastic cannister of Doe in Estrous Waffersfrom HS that I open up every now and then to take a whiff when I miss going hunting in the off-season! :D

Seif5034 03-15-2008 10:17 PM

dead leaves, gunpowder, bore cleaner, and the inside of my Dad's beat-up '90 dodge dakota

whitetaildreamer 03-16-2008 08:45 AM

pyrodex at the range
wet grass and leaves in the fall
any time I smell BBQ

mossberghunter93 03-16-2008 10:21 AM

hmmmm gun oil
and i always get butterflies when i go hunting

Buckeye Hunter 03-16-2008 02:44 PM

Strong black coffee. You know that coffee you make in camp on a cold Nov. mourning before you head to your stand. I was bow hunting Lewis Wetzel public hunting area in WV. There is a crued oil tank along the road that lead back into the hunting area. I was sitting on top of the tank on a peice of firewood and pourd a cup of that dark joe. I felt the heat from the cup start to warm my cold fingers,the steam from the coffee rose like smoke,the only sound I could here was the water in the nearby creek and woooooooosh woooooooosh. Deer snortin coffee about blew me of the top of that tank LOL

AAA 03-17-2008 09:53 AM

I was straightening the shed this weekend and had more smells that remind me of Hunting, dusty canvas, the old sleeping bags and the greasy camp stove. I think I need to clean the stove!

stikbow26 03-17-2008 10:12 AM

I would have to say a burning fireplace smoke!!! Just reminds me of all the great camps!!! Walt

SHOTARYE 03-17-2008 05:37 PM

For me its 3in1 oil, my dad used to clean our guns with it years ago. I don't, I try to stay as scent free as possible, but 3in1 oil does it for me. Thanks for the memories !

68charger_guy 03-18-2008 01:28 AM

Fire. People in the area have been cleaning up limbs and brush after the ice storm. All the burning wood reminds me of deer hunting.

buck-i 04-03-2008 08:19 PM

banana nut bread

Jimmy S 04-04-2008 04:50 AM

Believe it or the smell of tootsie pops.
It's one of the things I take with me every day during the hunting season
and the only time of year I eat them.

tjschwarze 04-14-2008 04:33 AM

The smell of apples triggers the hunt ambition for me. I always snap off a piece of apple tree and chew it while I'm in the stand. It helps to keep me from moving around and getting anxious. It also keeps me in my stand, or so it seems.