HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   baiting response (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/237089-baiting-response.html)

nchawkeye 03-12-2008 09:06 PM

RE: baiting response

Don't even get me started on dog hunting....We can't keep the dang things off our property...I told the warden one day "So I own a million dollars worth of property and any little snot nosed dog hunter can come by and drop his dogs off on the road by my farm and there isn't a damn thing I can do"...

Only one way to legally stop or curtail the dog hunters, kill every deer that they run by you so they will pick up their dogs and move to another property, they hate it when someone kills a deer in front of their dogs...

I had a group of hunters drive over 200 miles one morning for an afternoon hunt, got them all set up and 45 minutes before sundown a pack of 12-15 deer hounds came chasing one little old 75 pound doe through the farm....They were livid....

peakrut 03-12-2008 11:54 PM

Yes Illinois

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Just out of curiosity, hasn't CWD been found in some states that it is illegal to bait????

907Alaska 03-13-2008 12:04 AM

Illegal to bait anything here in California and also Arizona. So baiting for me was never really a issue because I have never done it.

bryant1 03-13-2008 06:11 AM

I have read an intereseting arcticle from a biologist that suggested it was the way the corn was piled up that was the reason that transmittal was happening. I dont ever pile my corn up anyway, I always spread it out to mimic natural browsing. This spreading of the corn on the ground and minimizing the use of high capacity feeders was suggested to lessen the spread of CWD by the biologist. These ideas are sound suggestions to me.

bryant1 03-13-2008 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Don't even get me started on dog hunting....We can't keep the dang things off our property...I told the warden one day "So I own a million dollars worth of property and any little snot nosed dog hunter can come by and drop his dogs off on the road by my farm and there isn't a damn thing I can do"...

Only one way to legally stop or curtail the dog hunters, kill every deer that they run by you so they will pick up their dogs and move to another property, they hate it when someone kills a deer in front of their dogs...

I had a group of hunters drive over 200 miles one morning for an afternoon hunt, got them all set up and 45 minutes before sundown a pack of 12-15 deer hounds came chasing one little old 75 pound doe through the farm....They were livid....
Not all doghunting is conducted in this manner, especially in Florida. I own deerdogs and enjoy doghunting and we dont ever have any problems with adjacent landowners. 70,000 acres and 270 members and their immediate family and no complaints filed all year long.

Sounds like loopholes in the state laws to me or lackluster law enforcement. By Florida law, if your dog trespasses it can cost you a $500 dollar fine. Let your law enforcement write out a couple of those tickets and i bet your problem would cease to exist.

mnbirddog 03-13-2008 10:12 AM

Around here if we see a dog chasing a deer we can shoot it, half the year at least. Public or private land. Warden or law enforcement can shoot them any time of year if they are seen chasing deer. Still fascinated by the difference in hunting cultures around the country.

bryant1 03-13-2008 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

Around here if we see a dog chasing a deer we can shoot it, half the year at least. Public or private land. Warden or law enforcement can shoot them any time of year if they are seen chasing deer. Still fascinated by the difference in hunting cultures around the country.
Come down to north florida and i will take you on a hunt. It is a experience you will never forget, I have been hooked on it for 4 years now.

nchawkeye 03-13-2008 11:09 AM

bryant...We have owned these farms over 40 years, the game warden can't stop them from releasing dogs beside our land...They can lease a 200 acre tract in the middle of a 6,000 acre tract and turn them loose...We have talked with the game warden several times, who covers several counties, and he says legally there is nothing we can do until the hunters actually set foot on the land, it's a joke...These guys line the road with their pickups and take pot shots from standing on top of the dog box, with their CBs they can warn each other when the game warden is in the area...

Another local law is that they can legally spotlight fields before 11pm, so they ride around and look for bucks to chase the following morning...They can't stand it that someone else might be trying to manage for big bucks...

It is also a felony in NC to kill a deer hound and illegal to set traps before the end of deer season...It won't change until they outlaw dog hunting, and this will be sooner rather than later...We are no longer a "local" community where everone knows their neighbors and these "outsiders" are as sick of it as we are...

We have 5 different hunting clubs in the county and have gone to each and spoken to them, it does no good, they always blame another club...

It also doesn't help that some of the county commissioners and the sheriff are dog hunters....

Rebel Hog 03-13-2008 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: bryant1

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

Come down to north florida and i will take you on a hunt. It is a experience you will never forget, I have been hooked on it for 4 years now.
You tell them Bryant!:)......I've been doing it for 50+yrs.:D

bryant1 03-13-2008 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

bryant...We have owned these farms over 40 years, the game warden can't stop them from releasing dogs beside our land...They can lease a 200 acre tract in the middle of a 6,000 acre tract and turn them loose...We have talked with the game warden several times, who covers several counties, and he says legally there is nothing we can do until the hunters actually set foot on the land, it's a joke...These guys line the road with their pickups and take pot shots from standing on top of the dog box, with their CBs they can warn each other when the game warden is in the area...

Another local law is that they can legally spotlight fields before 11pm, so they ride around and look for bucks to chase the following morning...They can't stand it that someone else might be trying to manage for big bucks...

It is also a felony in NC to kill a deer hound and illegal to set traps before the end of deer season...It won't change until they outlaw dog hunting, and this will be sooner rather than later...We are no longer a "local" community where everone knows their neighbors and these "outsiders" are as sick of it as we are...

We have 5 different hunting clubs in the county and have gone to each and spoken to them, it does no good, they always blame another club...

It also doesn't help that some of the county commissioners and the sheriff are dog hunters....
Sorry for the disdain by doghunters towards you, but not all doghunting is preformed in this manner. Sounds like the NC laws allow this type of behavior, and the doghunters just exploit it. Sounds like a NORTH CAROLINA problem to me.

Wasn't this a thread about baiting with corn when it started out anyway?