Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will the fawn survive?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 AM

Default RE: Will the fawn survive?

November 2nd sitting in my tree stand. Out of the brushy drawl walks a doe and two tiny fawns with spots.Theywere nursing the whole time I was watching.My first thought was will they survive the winter. I guess they probably did since winter was pretty mild with almost no snow to speak of.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Something to keep in mind though. After you shoot the doe, the fawns just may hang around and bleat for mama for awhile. Be sure you can mentally handle it. I wouldn't encourage a youth hunter to do it. Yeah, yeah, I can see the responses now ("If you can't handle it, stay out of the woods", "That's what hunting's about.", "Grow some sack", blah blah)...I'm just saying....
Funny you should mention this. I actually do know a guy that gave up deer hunting because he saw this exact thing. Except he said the fawn was "crying" for its mom. He was in his 40's and had been hunting for quite a few years. He apparently still wasn't prepared for this. I have yet to see it, but I generally am hunting in areas with numerous doe tags (at least recently) and if the fawn(s) stuck around, they would likely become targets as well.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

no spots, no foul.