Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

poachers??

Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default poachers??

Have you ever come across poachers or a poaching scene and what did you do?

My 2 experiences are...
#1 - It was about 20 years ago. We where trying to find a new duck swamp a land owner gave us the location to.
Well we ended up missing the land owners swamp by mistake (unknowly) and hit the neighbors swamp a few hundred yards away.
Man - o - man, it was the best duck spot that I had ever seen, dozens upon dozens of ducks. It was soooo gooood that we ran out of shells (without many ducks to show for it), so we decided to go back to camp to reload and go back latter in the day, just before dusk. We hunted it again, but the whole swamp this time, not just the edge that we originally walked into when we ran out of shells. We all figured out why the ducks where @ this swamp, real quick... We made it towards the other side of the swamp and found an access road we had seen. We figured out that we missed the original swamp when we came across the access road. Right @ the edge of the road there was CORN and lots of it. The neighbor had been baiting, so we called the game warden the next day, told him the story and they put a sting together and busted him big time.

#2) I was deer hunting in the great white north, in a very reclusive spot, and for the first time with a very, very successful hunter friend. Of course after this happened he did not remain a friend! We split up to hit this ridge and try pushing deer toward each other and BANG! I walk over to him, we where a few hundred yards apart, and there was a dead Doe and then he asks me if I wanted to tag her. Of course I tell him no, and that I can shoot my own deer. He proceeds to dress her and hang her in a tree, so the coyotes can't get her while we push for the third guy in our group. I asked him if he needed a pen to fill his tag out and he says he doesn't tag Does. He said he would find someone in town to tag the Doe and not to worry about it. I quickly figured out why he has over a dozen 200+ lb deer with huge racks on his wall. Simply put he has no laws to follow like the rest of us. I neve talked to the sleeze bag again and informed the game wardens to watch him carefully.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pochers??

i found a freshly poached deer at 10pm along the side of the road...it still had steam coming off of it! anyways i called the game warden office and absolutly nothing was done about it!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I found three dead bucks thrown over a ledge right off the road with their antlers cut off at the base. They weren't even that big, they were dinks. I wanted to puke.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Don't know if they were poached or not, but I found a pile of 4 deer carcasses. 3 were bucks with the antlers cut off and the other was a doe.

They had all been field dressed, but weren't tagged and no meat had been removed.

It was either poaching or just wasteful slaughter. Either way it p*ssed me off!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

And justhow have any of these previous posts helped us as hunters ? Even in a small way?Please "think",then think again,thenpost.

If you feel so please explain the benefits to those of us that enjoy huntingit so?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting on the edge of my aunts cornfield 2 years ago and i had a video camera and a nice buck was coming across the field and a bang they shot it, I quickly called my uncle up and he went and got there license plate numbers and then they drove off fast so then we contacted the game warden and i showed him the video and they busted him...
Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Spike

Dang bawanajim, having a bad day? I guess the posts I read seemed interesting to me and have more to do with the topic than your reply?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:38 PM

There's a poacher in my county who we all hate. I just thought I'd tell you a couple of things that he's done.

1. Quite a few years back, my dad was hunting on a friends property and the poacher was illegally hunting on the same ground. Well it was deer season and my dad shot one of the biggest bucks in the county at that time. Well the idiot comes up to my dad and offers to carry it to my dads truck as my dad gets packed up.My dad took him up to the house, the owner said he wasn't EVER allowed to hunt there, so my dad called the game warden, Mike, and sadly, he got there 3 minutes to late. =[

2. Just 2 years ago I was on my first turkey hunt on the same property as the first incedent with the poacher. My dad and I were sitting against a tree deep in the woods waiting for a turkey and fianlly after a morning of waiting, we heard two. One real turkey and the retarded poacher using a diaphram. He shot it. My dad, after we were done, saw him, walked up to him, (yet again, he was there without a tag, and he was there without permission. It wasn't even the right sex.) spun him around, slapped him, knocked him to the ground, and called the game warrden. This time, he got there on time and busted him with jail and a fine. He didn't mind the slappage and knocking to the ground. He was just glad that hecaught him. at least I got a BIGGER turkey next season. =]
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I kept finding Sorel-prints in nearly every set of tracks I found one snowy elk season. Giving it up and heading for another spot I hunt, I came across what I thought were bear tracks around a deer carcass. As I got closer, I realized they were not bear tracks but human tracks, the carcass was still warm, and the head was missing (checking the deer over, the remainder of the anatomy indicated it was a buck deer - not in season, and now obviously poached). Plugged the location into my GPS and headed for the truck and bag phone (so this had to have been quite a few years ago). Along the way, caught some movement behind me, realized I was being followed. When the guy was close enough to identify as another hunter, I felt threatened enough to slip the safety off my own rifle - he was carrying his at the ready as well. So, we're both standing there, he asks me if I'd seen any elk that morning. Nope, just a dead deer, I said. To my surprise, he said he'd just come across a cow, a spike, and a bull without antlers all dead just above where I'd logged the dead buck into my GPS. He thought I might have shot the elk. Ha! I thought he'd shot the deer. We were both heading back to our trucks to make a report when we stumbled into each other.

Had an intern working for me the next year who had access to all the poaching reports filed. Had him follow up on my report - which he found, along with the other guy's, and notes to the effect that no G&F person was available to investigate, so nothing was done. Probably nothing that COULD have been done, I'm sure the perpetrators were long gone by that time.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 PM

well i guess its not really called poaching even though i belive it is. Where i come from the natives are allowed to hunt year round, wellanyways all the time during the summer we come across where they have found a herd of elk and have shot 4-5 of them took their rear ends and left everything else there...but since its their legal right there is nothing we can do about it

Quick Reply: poachers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.