Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is it about antlers?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is it about antlers?

This is a very good subjectMany good things have been said.

I think the Big Buck is a way of saying Look at what I have Accomplished. Even though it is a lot of Luck and being in the right spot at the right time. A hunter still must be able to shoot, Have Paticents, have a Gun, Time, and drive to hunt. The Horns are Icing on the Cake. Not only have I killed a Deer, but I killed a Monster. 250 Pounds Field Dressed, and Scored 180! Not only have I killed that Buck but I have 5 more bigger at the house[8D]I think it is more about US and not the Deer. Hunting is not as complicted as winning the Masters in Golf or Tennis. However, its what we do for fun. So much can be said about this subject.

I believe the Man who is out to just catch fish to eat. Deer just for the meat. AND REALLY DON'T CARE IF ITS A 8 OZ. OR A 40LB. CAT FISH. Is a differnt sort of person than we who are here. Just my 2 Cents

TF
Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Meat maylast a year but antlers will last a lifetime"

Joking aside antlerslike a picture bring back the memories of the hunt orentire season. However are much better then a picture as it can be held, touched, felt by yourself and others. If a picture is worth a 1000 words then the real deal is worth 1XXXXXX? Just darn cool period!!

If that doesn't workI'm withthe response of "your the first person to touch them". COOL
Old 02-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't give a damn about antlers.... but then I don't give a damn about alot of things. I don't really care how other people hunt, but if you show me antlers, and don't have a good recipe for that deer or tell me you donated it... you'll get no respect from me, and I'll probably threaten to piss on those antlers.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard and you can wash it as fast you want!
Man vs. beast!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Its weird..........you find a shed on the ground, a nice shed, and you get all excited........
I'd rather find a nice shed than a $20 bill.
WHY ? I dont know.
Next to my son and god, deer hunting is my life.....now that just crazy
Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 AM

good thread. im pretty new to the sport but for me the rack is a beautiful trophy and also a standard that i set for myself. everyone hunts for different reasons. personalli like the challenge and also i like to challenge myself by using the best rack as a standard to the "next step".. keeps the blood boiling till next season.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

ABarOfSoap - The rack doesn't have to be big. I like em all.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is just another thing for guys to compare and compete in- "mine is bigger than yours' or more unique..." whatever

To me it is more of the experience of killing bucks in front of running hound dogs. I dont care as much about the horns as most guys, but i still compare racks with my brother and a couple friends. We usually have a season-long bet on who can kill the most points total for the hunting season. It is more about the deer camps cook shacks decorated with local antlers and the stories behind them. I gotall of my antlers hanging around my shed, on display but it is more ofrespect for the animalthan an obsession with antlers.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

I believe that when we are able to achieve an animal with a great set of head gear, it gives us the feeling that we now have something so unique that nobody else in the world has one exactly like it. Then you think of all the hard work, the pre-story, post-story, the hunt, the weather, how you drug it out, the people who stood around your truck and heard your story. All of these things I know run through my mind when seeing the bucks on my wall.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

For me they are milestones of my life and hunting career. They all may not be trophys to most but to they are to me. Every time I look at them I remeber everything about that day, the hunt the weather and the place. To me they are my personal collection of memories,all I have to do as look at one to relive that day.

Quick Reply: What is it about antlers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.