Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
hunter education and why it is important >

hunter education and why it is important

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunter education and why it is important

Old 02-09-2003, 03:54 PM

Default hunter education and why it is important

Hunter education is important for every one because it teaches a person knoledge of the field and what to expect when out hunting. I am from nebraska and our hunter education course is a two day class. the class covers everything from saftey to how to track a deer when it is wounded. i think that young people and older people need a class like this.

Thanks Tommy
Old 02-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunter education and why it is important

My kid already knows about gun safety. Started teaching him how to track when he was about five.

They do have a place but a mentor or a father that hunts is alot better.

Old 02-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting education classes are important, they teach the students important things about handling a gun and other things. They should teach you how to track a wounded deer.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"
Old 02-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

mine was pretty useless except for the simple fact i had to have the little orange card to get my liscense...my dad took it with me even though hes been hunting all his life just to get the little orange card incase he ever wants to go out of the state...he thought it wasa waste of 12 hrs i think it was when we took it..now its 15 or more i dont know what it went up to...i passed the test with eaze and only missed one which was something senseless about how do you help game on your property..i put plant trees and bushes..i guess there was a better answer...i dont even remember anything they covered in the course..i know there wasnt much thats useful..just comon sense stuff..they really should have a good course and teach you more than what most people know..then again i guess if i never touched a gun and never seen a deer or anything i guess it would have all been new to me...and i agree they should teach you kill zones on game and a bit on tracking...
Old 02-09-2003, 08:55 PM

Our courses in New Jersey are pretty short. You can actually take shotgun, muzzleloader and bow all in one day if you wanted to. I think they are all about 2 hours each. You have a video to watch, and a workbook to fill out and that's it. Then your on to your 2 hour field session and on to a final. That's all that there is to it! So, as long as you know enough correct answers to pass the final, your good to go.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
My kid already knows about gun safety. Started teaching him how to track when he was about five.

They do have a place but a mentor or a father that hunts is alot better.

NO matter how old or how wise the hunter education is still needed to teach the youngster the right and legal saftey tatics.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 02-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Typical Buck

Having taught the hunter ed program here for many years, I would estimate that some of the ones described above are definitely less valuable than they might have been. The British Columbia course is typically about 30 hours, with lots of hands-on practical stuff. The feedback has always been positive and I have yet to have anyone state they didn't get a great deal out of the course. So, if the content is there, these courses can be very beneficial.

Charlie P, you are probably very particular about how you hunt and what your expectations are of those who accompany you. It's always good to see someone who sets high standards. However, you may be surprised at how many Fathers/Uncles/etc who are mentoring young kids implant all their own bad habits in them. These are the ones who are really hard to turn around and get them doing things in a safe and ethical manner.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tjpinkel, Why did you include this in my qoute? <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>NO matter how old or how wise the hunter education is still needed to teach the youngster the right and legal saftey tatics. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> I never said that, nor do I believe that.

When my son was 11 I went to the PA game site and let him take the test they ahve there. He missd one question,didn't take the course.

On another thread you stated :

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I took the hunter education course when i was 11 yrs old. I feel that that the hunter education course is a good thing to have because it teaches the a person what to expect in the feild. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

My son knows what to expect in the field because he has been going hunting with me for years now.He has been shooting a bow since he was 5 and shooting guns since he turned 8.The only way to truely know what to do in the field is by being in the field.

Same thing when your coaching kids in sports it's repetition and technique.Doing the same thing over and over until it's second nature.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>If a person would have to go and get a hunter saftey card some of the hunting miss treatment would stop because people probably would appreciate hunting more. And could make the hunting enviroment safer for the young kids trying to get involved. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Well In NY you have had always had to take a hunter safety course to be able to hunt and there are still plenty of idiots in the woods.

Did you start hunting by yourself or with a parent/mentor?

Canuck2 <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>However, you may be surprised at how many Fathers/Uncles/etc who are mentoring young kids implant all their own bad habits in them. These are the ones who are really hard to turn around and get them doing things in a safe and ethical manner.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Your right I was lucky to be brought up in a hunting family that put's safety first. Do you think the kids you get in class keep doing it your way after they get back in the field with their uncles and Dad's?

Last gun season I was out with a buddy of mine and my son he is now 12. We got to the car and my buddy say's to my kid &quot;Hold this for a second, it's unloaded&quot; and hands his gun to my son.First thing my son does is checks the safety and then the chamber to make sure it was unloaded,why? Because that is what he has been taught to do for years now.

Canuck2 I applaud you for taking the time to teach hunter's safety,Thank you. I plan on doing it when my son is done with youth athletics. I volunteer my time with that right now.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:36 AM

CharlieP,
I applaud the way you are teaching your son. However, I believe that a hunter ed course would benefit him greatly. As Canuck2 stated, many times the child picks up the bad habits of the dad/uncle/whatever. I teach hunter ed and that has been my experience as well. None of us are perfect and thus your son can learn from a different point of view. You should attend with your son and you can discuss why something was taught that was different from how you do it. Virtually all of the experienced hunters that go through my classes state that they learned way more than they thought they would. You asked if kids continue to do it the way they are taught after they are in the field with their dad/uncle/etc. I can answer that question and have the facts to back it up. Yes they do. Take a look at any state's accident rate compared to it hunter ed program. There is indisputable evidence it works.

A lot of people on this board continue to say they and their kids are different--they know better than hunter ed program. That is scary. CharlieP, answer me this, statistically speaking, what type of hunter is the most dangerous?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cody. I am going to take my son to hunter's ed:Even if I didn't have to I still would.Actually I have been looking for one for about a month now and no new ones have been scheduled.He has to have the course to be able to go Turkey hunting this spring and hunt.He has been going with me since the second grade and not shooting. I think your missing my point.

I'm not saying my kid is different.Maybe he is a little differnt, he's been in the woods since before he could walk. I used to carry him in a back pack.Giving your kid a bottle in the middle of the woods is a great experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>CharlieP, answer me this, statistically speaking, what type of hunter is the most dangerous? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> The one that doesn't treat his weapon like it's loaded at all times.

Let me ask you a question.How many of the kids you get in class already know how to load,unload and shoot safely.Have been shooting a bow for 7 yearsin league's and in the backyard.Have already helped track over 15 deer.Know deer sign and what it means know how to read a topo map and can use a compass?

I am not saying hunter's ed is a waste of time.If I thought it was why would I consider becoming an instructor?

Quick Reply: hunter education and why it is important

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.