Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-21-2002, 10:13 AM

Default RE: Why do whitetails. . . ?

I agree, they put their tails down when hit most of the time. BUT, I have seen them tail up after a good hit, so its not the only indication. I don't want someone to say, "well his tail was up in the air so I missed" and not do a thurough search cause 10 yds from where I saw him tail up there was a bunch of blood from where he hit the ground.

--Jim
Old 01-21-2002, 11:05 AM

I'd agree because I've shot many, many deer that rsan with their tail up for 100yds and fell over dead. It's not a reliable indicator, although, if the tail is down, it's probably a hit.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought it was to warn other deer but the science channel had an interesting different opinion. They said it's a signal to predators. It tells them that I know you're there, I'm faster than you, so don't bother wasting your energy (or mine)chasing me. They showed a deer being stalked by a wolverine and he gave up right after the white flag.

DSan O.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmmmm I always thought a raised tail meant. Honey I'm home......lol. Danger Danger!!
Old 01-21-2002, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'M WITH EVERYONE ELSE AS A WARNING
Old 01-22-2002, 12:13 AM

yea i think it means danger an a warning to all other deer around....i hate to see a tail especially in brush cuz i dont know if its a buckor doe usually