Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you plan to ever shoot a monster buck? >

Do you plan to ever shoot a monster buck?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you plan to ever shoot a monster buck?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you plan to ever shoot a monster buck?

Here in the New Hampshire the deer herd is not quite the same as other "antler" states seem to be. There are some successful hunters that connect more than others, but most of us are happy to get anything at all, never mind a monster and I'm sure I can probably speak for 90-95% of the NH hunters. I personaly had a tremendous season in 2007 and managed to harvest a 6 pointer with archery and an 8 pointer with the .44 mag pistol. I also passed on a big doe while stalking with the bow, knowing there was a 16 pointer caught on film. I seem to be honing my skills, as my hair gets grayer and my belly gets rounder. Taking more time for scouting and using trail cameras to find out were the bucks are. I of course want to harvest a monster, which for NH is anything over 140-150". Heck, a 120+" buck is considered real nice.

Everyones problem no matter where you hunt is simple, you have to be patient and willing to pass on small deer until the big bruiser comes around. I personaly am like a kid @ x-mas when I see a deer (doe or buck) and don't know if I have the testicle fortitude to hold out. Kind of like prom night!

190+ inch buck in NH, would have to stand in line with Roger Clemens for his steroid shots! Sorry Mr. Clemens, but your right, we can never erase the claim from that pecker head in the Mitchell report, who claims to have shot you up with the bad stuff - Boston loves you).

Somewhere in this reply is your answer - have a great day, folks,!
Ps - If we click our camo boots together and keep repeating "your in the woods" deer will come...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Nah stay out of Ohio no big deer here. All the big deer are dead. Hunt other states.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Nope. i live in florida, but i am going up to ohio for a week in bow season this year (first bow season) so who knows.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pinsapex7

Nah stay out of Ohio no big deer here. All the big deer are dead. Hunt other states.
Agreed

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't expect to kill a typical that nets 190 or a non typical that nets 240. I do expect i will kill the monster buck of my lifetime.So far i have done my best to shoot bucks that are damn close butdon't netit. Every one of them I am extremely proud and thankful for as the score isn't the only measurement! However i truly believe that I will have at least one book qualifing deer on my wall before I hang it up.

Typical, myguess is if milo is unseeded it will be a Sask or Alberta buck that does it. NT will come out of the midwest states that keep pumping them out...must be something they put in the soil as wejust don'tsee the freaks that ya'll put out up here.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having spent most of my hunting life in eastern Texas, my expectations have never been very high for a monster buck, but since I started hunting in NW Oklahoma, I expect to at least "see" a trophy every year. Here is my 2004 muzzleloader buck.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come on now, how many hunters have ever killed a 190 + class typical? Maybe half of a percent. We would all love to, but it just aint gonna happen to 99.9999% of deer hunters. The best way to get a chance at one is to fork out about 20 grand and pick your buck, which is not hunting. Where I hunt, my property in La., I have a better chance of winning the powerball and get struck by lightning on the same day, than kill a 190+ typical buck. I hate to sound so negative, but we must be realistic if we're going to seriously answer this question. I would be estatic to take a 125-140 class buck, especially on my property. The largest I've taken to date is a 130 inch 8 point and I've taken a lot of deer. Someone on this forum may one day take one. If you do, you better show plenty of pictures.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

If I do I do, if I don't I don't, I don't lose any sleep over it either way. The next record buck will come from either Iowa or Illinois, won't speculate on when.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If that chance comes up, I'll see what I can do...
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

So I'm curious how many hunters plan/expect to shoot a monster buck in their lifetime.Let's say monsters begin at...190"+ typical, or 240"+ non-typical?

Also where do you think the next world record typical/ non-typical will come out of and when? How soon? It's a bit tough for shooting "book" bucks in our section, we are really concerned with Buck to Doe ratio right now. We have a rule of 5.5 year olds or older. I observe our herd year round from stands in order to "know" just how old the bucks are, so if the older bucks "happen" to be "books" then it will happen, but so far they aren't. My biggest to date is 153 3/8 typical. I have seen a couple in that area, but none bigger. With our work in the habitat restoration and some supplements maybe we can help the antler growth, but herd health is our main concern. This past season, 3 bucks @ 5.5,8.5+, and a 3.5 (7&2 eights) year olds were taken, with 14 doe. Proud to say that nobody mistakenly shot a BUTTON BUCK!!!! Thats just one of the downsides of shooting so many doe (BB mistake).

Quick Reply: Do you plan to ever shoot a monster buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.