Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer Feeding / Chronic Wasting >

Deer Feeding / Chronic Wasting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Feeding / Chronic Wasting

Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Deer Feeding / Chronic Wasting

From what I know cwd is spread from saliva of one deer to another, and I see all these commercials for feeders where a deer basically eats feed from a 4" tube from a feeder, personally I would like to say if you're going to feed, do it with a broadcast feeder, not a tube style, while cwd may not be in your area yet, let's keep it that way, and if it is already in your area, you probably shouldn't feed, but if you're going to anyway, broadcast would seem to be a better delivery method than a tray or tube for a deer to feed from.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Feeding / Chronic Wasting

If you have cwd in your area its going to spread regardless whether your feeding or not. This time of the year the deer tend to yard up in big herds and eat the same food sources anyway. Theres no way to prevent it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

If you have cwd in your area its going to spread regardless whether your feeding or not. This time of the year the deer tend to yard up in big herds and eat the same food sources anyway. Theres no way to prevent it.
I have to agree, deer interact with one another their whole life, even licking each other. This thing about feeding causing the spread of disease is nonsense, about up there with global warming.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

From what I know cwd is spread from saliva of one deer to another, and I see all these commercials for feeders where a deer basically eats feed from a 4" tube from a feeder, personally I would like to say if you're going to feed, do it with a broadcast feeder, not a tube style, while cwd may not be in your area yet, let's keep it that way, and if it is already in your area, you probably shouldn't feed, but if you're going to anyway, broadcast would seem to be a better delivery method than a tray or tube for a deer to feed from.
I'd say if you're going to feed in Illinois, keep in mind it is illegal!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I have to agree, deer interact with one another their whole life, even licking each other. This thing about feeding causing the spread of disease is nonsense, about up there with global warming.

If it in fact IS up there with global warming, then it IS something to be concerned with!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not nonsense. It seems like they are saying "feeding is the only thing that causes it to spread" but in reality they are saying "don't feed because it only increases its spread more rapidly", which it does. By preventing feeding and using certain management plans in CWD areas it keeps the disease at bay quite a bit andwill hopefully lessen or keep the amount of infected deer relatively close. Sure its gonna spread but to ignore it completely isn't smart and when they dont know if it can effect people or could evolve into adisease we could get eventually risk don't need to be taken before they can be proven certain.Kinda like global warming, although it is theory based (and can be proven well) and can be disproven by earths history of warming and coolingit still needs to be kept in mind and if it helps the environment (yours and future generationshunting abilities) than things need to keep happening possitivly and not just be ignored completely. WCL
Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Vermont does not allow the feeding of deer...and when you talk to anyone from Fish and Game here in Vermont, they will tell you that CWD is the reason for this. They wont even let you put minerals out or anything. Food plots are the only legal thing here.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crokit

If it in fact IS up there with global warming, then it IS something to be concerned with!
Oh no! watch out the sky is falling, no wait killer bees are on their way, no wait mad cow is here, no wait the bird flu will get you, no wait its the flesh eating disease, no wait........
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh no! watch out the sky is falling, no wait killer bees are on their way, no wait mad cow is here, no wait the bird flu will get you, no wait its the flesh eating disease, no wait........
I'm a very literal person and don't worry about those kinds of things either. Just live life and go with the flow, what happens happens, ya just deal with it and move on,but when we are able to control something so simple as not feeding deer by baiting, which is entirely unessisary, it is our duty as hunters to abide by it and do whats best for the interest of our deer herds health.... Is CWD really as big of an issue as they say it is?? I don't think so but who knows,and if it does in the futureget bad and we didnt do our best to try and control it all we can do isblame ourselves...I think if you hunted in an area that has CWD you'd feel differnet about it. I know texas is huge on baiting deer and feeders so I'm guessing this is why you feel the way you do. If I'm wrong, I apologize. WCL
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong. If a state allows feeding of any kind that is because of a biologists decision and knowing its effects on the deer and I support those regulations. Abide by regulations and all is well. WCL

Quick Reply: Deer Feeding / Chronic Wasting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.