Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help from FL Hunters

Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Help from FL Hunters

im doing some research and was wondering if there were any laws prohibiting any form of driving deer while shooting a centerfire? i have never taken anything other than buckshot into a drive. i was just wondering if there were any regulations against it?i noticedin the newspaper that a hunter was killed recently in FL by his friend while they were driving with a .308.... any help would be great
Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help from FL Hunters

No its not illegal, but it isn't safe while shooting from the ground either. The guys were running dogs and from the report the guy who shot couldn't seehis friend who got hit by the bullet. Apparently he was shooting on the level and the bullet traveled through the woodsand struck his friend around the corner of the road. I would never shoot my rifle while running dogs on the level, i always shoot mine from a elevated position like on top ofmy dogbox. Thiscould have been easily prevented, dont be lazy get on your dogbox if you are going to shoot a rifle (or shotgun forthat matter).
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

go to myfwc.com , go to ask FWC.......heeres a link

http://askit.myfwc.com/cgi-bin/myfwc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Old 01-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Spike

The accident happened about 60 miles from me. The man who was shot was actually over 200 yards away and his friend did not even know he was there. In answer to your question, we always use shotguns when we drive as well. The rifle can do too much even in heavy cover a lot of times.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

On military bases such as Eglin AFB it is buckshot only I think.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I drive with a group of friends, the only people that carry guns are the standers. and they are in elivated positions. And they all use centerfire weapons. It does get kind of scarry walking though the brush and woods, when the shooting starts. You just hope that the person behind the trigger is using good judgment.