Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Sheds found in Il and pics of my Megabuck >

Sheds found in Il and pics of my Megabuck

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sheds found in Il and pics of my Megabuck

Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 AM

Default Sheds found in Il and pics of my Megabuck

Hey, just wanted the fellow deer hunters know that stressed, old, mature bucks have dropped their antlers for the most part. My brother found a very nice 4 pt. shed with a 12.5" G2 on Dec. 28. Me, being completely psyched for shed hunting, decided to hit up a CRP field that I knew they were bedding in due to flooding here in East Central Illinois. I ended up finding a 4pt shed from a very old buck, most likely a 130 to 140 class deer, along witha very small but promising 4 pt. shed from a 1 1/2 yr old. Saw a lot of deer, probably 50+ every time I went out. I saw very old deer with sagging bellies and grey faces with no racks, and young bucks, mostly being half-racks. I would say 50% of the4 1/2+ old bucks have dropped. Saw over a dozen 3 1/2 yr olds with both sides on. Well, just thought I would give everybody an update. 1 more cold snap and they should be falling like rain.
I haveposted some pics of my buck from shotgun season below. I had hunted him all of bow season. He basically shredded every tree under 8 inches in diameter for about a half mile stretch along the riverbanks, it would send a shiver up my spine every time I walked those bottoms. I had seen him before, thought he was a ten and never knew how much trash he was carrying up front. Anyhow, the thursday night before shotgun opener, I could literally feel that I was going to shoot a huge buck the next day. I drove to my spot and listened to "Fred Bear" by Ted Nugent, which got me completely pumped. I was up in my stand 30 minutes before daylight as planned.I sat and watched as a young buck checked the scrap 20 yards to my north and literally ran a doe off. I thought it was odd. Then, about fifteen minutes later, I saw the bone white rack skulking through the timber. He came to an opening, I noticed He walked the exact trail that he had walked during bow season, just out of reach of my archery skills, around 60 yards. I laid the smack down on him with my .50 Optima Elite. He crashed within sight on the riverbank. It is is, of course, my biggest buck to date. He hasn't been officially scored yet, but we came up with an average gross of 188" and a net of just over 180". He had 17 scorable points, 19 total, and a 24" spread. We estimated him tobe 4 1/2 years old. The sheds we have found look to be pretty promising for next year too. Here are the pics.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Default RE: Sheds found in Il and pics of my Megabuck

Heres one more..........I have some better ones but these will have to do, it was a horror getting them resized from a 5mp camera.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

man that is an awesome buck!!!
a big congrats to you bro!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Great buck! Congrats!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Thats one hell of a buck!!! Congrats
Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man why do you guys shoot them little bity bucks. Let them grow up would ya!! LOL

Dang nice buck. Nice work!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great deer you got......Where in IL are you?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice deer. Congrats.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 PM

Taken in Champaign County, in upper Middlefork river bottoms.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Very nice.

Quick Reply: Sheds found in Il and pics of my Megabuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.