Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 muzzleloader......help its new to me!!! >

muzzleloader......help its new to me!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

muzzleloader......help its new to me!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:14 PM

Default muzzleloader......help its new to me!!!

hi, i got my first muzzleloader about a week ago, i bought a used one being how im a beginner at this, figure it would be good enough fora starter,but now im wondering if its good enough for hunting, its a knight on the barrel it says knight -american knight, its 50 cal. the barrel seems to be in good shape and all in all its in pretty good shape,,,will it drop a deer???? also i went out and got a scope for it, i bought a tasco
3-9X40mm bucksight scope it has 3" of eye relief. is that enough eye relief? any info would be helpful. thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: muzzleloader......help its new to me!!!

It'll handle a deer and even larger if you desire and work up the loads. I haveharvested whitetails, mule deer, black bear and moose with my 50 cal ML's. The range is not upto a CF, being 100 to 150is whatmost feel confident with, however those who possess the skill and will to put forth the effort can extend the range a little.

My knight disc likes to shoot Pyrodex RS or P powder(I use loose powder and never tried the pellets in it so can't comment in that regard) - 80-100gr volume. My bulletschoices were:250gr Barnes MZ Expanders, 250gr Hornady XTP's and Nolser 300gr parts - all use the black MMP short sabot. I still own the knight and shoot it though I have added others over the yearsthat seethe hunting action. It's too good of rifle to let go for what it'll fetch so it remains in my cabinet and probably always will have a slot!

As far as 3" eye relief, it's not a tone but may be fine. My knight has a B&L elite 3000 on it that affords 3" at the highermag. and never caused me any grief. That said I know others who have problems withmore then 3" eye relief so a lot depends on the shooter.

FYI you may want to scroll down the main page and check out the Blackpowder forum.

Enjoy and good luck
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

The most brutal holes I have ever seen in deer were made with 50 cal muzzle loaders. Shoot it a bit you will see. You will wonder why you ever asked.

3" eye relief should be enough if you are set up right.

Bob
Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Dominant Buck

The 50 cal ML will kill a 350 t0 450 LB(and possibly over) Hog. So it's an over kill on 160 to 175LB Deer!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

50 cal muzzle is plenty to take down a deer . it will put a holeyou could stick your thumb through
Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with the American Knight for about 5 years, now my son has it and its still killing deer.Honestly dont even remember having a misfire with it.

Mine had a real tight bore on it, it took awhile to find a bullet that would load easy and remain accurate.Finally I settled on a 250 grain shockwave and 80 grains of powder, it shot great out to a little past 100 yrds, Im sure the gun would shoot further but that was the extent of my abilities in shooting it.It should kill just about anything you care to hunt without much trouble
Old 01-12-2008, 10:37 AM

thanks for the help i really appreciate it
Old 01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

That was the first muzzleloader I ever purchased, worked flawlessley, I wish I still had it, sold to buy a newer Knight.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol yes it will kill a deer. Do some homework as to types of powder and bullet combinations and you may be suprised at accuracy. My brother took a buck at 200 yards exactly this year, and I shot one at 130. Both perfect shots at distances we know we can make. His gun groups under 2" at 100 yards and we are not competition shooters by any means. Modern smole poles can be very accurate.