Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 High hunting grounds: Good or bad? >

High hunting grounds: Good or bad?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

High hunting grounds: Good or bad?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default High hunting grounds: Good or bad?

My family just bought70 acres up in Schuyler ny and it is just about the highest point of the county with a small slope downhill going down the whole property... we wil be hunting deer and probably coyote. Is having a piece of property for hunting in the highest point in the county/mountain a good thing or a bad thing? Will deer stay closer to the bottom of the area or near the top....The lot is mostly wooded and is pretty much surrounded by farmland with cows. Also is having the farms with cows in the area keep the deer away?
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High hunting grounds: Good or bad?

bigwhitetailbuck: I am VERY familiar with hunting in that area. You have bought yourself a piece of whitetail nirvana. I am willing to work for permission to hunt there!! Good luck!!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigwhitetailbuck

The lot is mostly wooded and is pretty much surrounded by farmland with cows. Also is having the farms with cows in the area keep the deer away?
Thanks
Mike
I have asked this question before and everyone said that the cows are not a threatto the deer, so your answer is no.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

crokit, are you talking about the schuyler ny where my property is in HERKIMER county or are you talking about SCHUYLER county? if so on average how many deer do you see a dayup there?
thanks
mike
Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

The area I live in is called "The Knobs" because of all the hills that galciers left behind, the deer bed on top of these knobs so that they can see or hear danger approaching easily and bail out in the opposite direction. These knobs also tend to be topped with oak flats, the ones where you live probably are too. In inclement weather you'll likely find the deer on the leeward side of them for wind protection, check out tangled thickets for signs of bedding. If there are cedar thickets on the property you've definitely struck gold.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

big whitetailbuck: I'm talking about property in Schuyler Corners, near Herkimer. There's a gorge that runs pretty much ne>sw about 5 mi. west of Schuyler corners. Small Mountain the locals call " monkey mountain>" Some big buck have come out of this area the past 10 years!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was watching the outdoor channel and they were turkey hunting with cow right in the middle from the to the turkeys and this was all with in 50 yards
ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

ORIGINAL: bigwhitetailbuck

The lot is mostly wooded and is pretty much surrounded by farmland with cows. Also is having the farms with cows in the area keep the deer away?
Thanks
Mike
I have asked this question before and everyone said that the cows are not a threatto the deer, so your answer is no.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Cows and deer get along just fine.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting at the highest points of the county will not pose any problems and I wouldn't be too worried about the cows either. The deer will not be spooked by them.
[align=left] [/align]