HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Is a 223 to small for deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/226243-223-small-deer.html)

killadoe 01-08-2008 10:00 AM

Is a 223 to small for deer?

Is it to small for deer? Also how far would you feel is a ethical shot with a 223?

Splitear_Leland 01-08-2008 10:07 AM

RE: Is a 223 to small for deer?

Yes, it is too small. Don't even try it.

MC Bowhunter 01-08-2008 10:13 AM

No it isn't to small. Just make sure a 223 for deer hunting is legal in your state. I think in Oklahoma you must use at least a50 grain bullet when using a 223. It will work just fine out to 200 yards.

Darrall

killadoe 01-08-2008 10:27 AM

I am torn between the Mini 14 and the mini 30. I would like the mini 14 for the range and speed, but dont like how small it is, I would like the mini 30 for its size, but not real impressed with the ballistics, however the larger bullet would be great.. I work with a guy that has a mini 14 (223) and he has killed alot of deer with it, he says it will kill them grave yard dead, most dont even run off. He says he has killed out to 250 yards and never had a problem..

AmateurHunter44857 01-08-2008 10:27 AM

I love the huge swings in opinions lol I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than a 243 if you can use a 223 and you don't try stupid long range shots then go right ahead.

P.S. Is it legal to use armor piercing rounds on deer? My friend somehow got a hold of some and wondered if you could use them. Of course we can't in Ohio but just wondered.

RugerM77.270 01-08-2008 11:13 AM

Grab some pop corn and get ready to see the fur fly.

killadoe 01-08-2008 11:20 AM

I am not trying to start a debate here. Most of my shots are under 70 yards, and most are of deer standing still and broad side. I feel if the bullet is placed in the right spot it will kill.

retrieverman 01-08-2008 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: killadoe

Is it to small for deer?
Absolutely NOT.

Splitear_Leland 01-08-2008 11:30 AM

Seriously, why would you even want to try using one, especially a Mini 14. Get something appropriate for the game you're hunting. I could kill a deer with a pellet gun if I hit it in the eye, but you don't see me trying it. Seriously, get a bigger calliber, you will be a lot better off.

killadoe 01-08-2008 11:35 AM

Also this wont be my sole hunting rifle, I already have a 30-06 and a 243, I am curious because if I see a deer while holding the 223 will it kill it?

glockman55 01-08-2008 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

I love the huge swings in opinions lol I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than a 243 if you can use a 223 and you don't try stupid long range shots then go right ahead.

P.S. Is it legal to use armor piercing rounds on deer? My friend somehow got a hold of some and wondered if you could use them. Of course we can't in Ohio but just wondered.
Armor piercing ammo is not a good choice for any game. I'm sure he didn't buy them over the counter, and I wouldn't want to get caught using them and explaining where I got them. They are made for shooting through cars and trucks and bullet proof vest,not game, it would leave a small hole with no expantion. If your buying a rifle just for Deer go bigger.

speyrjb 01-08-2008 11:40 AM

Are you trying to stir up a pissing match? Seriously, I see you have posted almost 400 times on this forum. Surely you have seen this debate OVER AND OVER AND OVER again ;)

If not, then to answer your question....YES! A 223 is plenty adequate for deer with proper bullet placement and the right bullet.

Unless of course you are hunting those armor plated deer I hear so much about on this forum. ;)

rybohunter 01-08-2008 11:59 AM

Get out the popcorn!

BigTiny 01-08-2008 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: killadoe

I am torn between the Mini 14 and the mini 30. I would like the mini 14 for the range and speed, but dont like how small it is, I would like the mini 30 for its size, but not real impressed with the ballistics, however the larger bullet would be great.. I work with a guy that has a mini 14 (223) and he has killed alot of deer with it, he says it will kill them grave yard dead, most dont even run off. He says he has killed out to 250 yards and never had a problem..
Last year I killed a 6 point with a .223, and he ran about 35 yards and fell over. I have heard more than a few Mini-14 owners gripe about the accuracy of their weapon, so you might want to look at other firearms in this caliber. My .223 is a Saiga(AK variant) and they are not famous for their pinpoint accuracy. I got lucky, mine shoots 1.5-2MOA depending on my ammo, so I'm not going to shoot much further than 100 yards at anything except a coyote. Shooting out to 250, 1.5MOA gets to be a pretty big difference, so I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. The 7.62x39 round has dismal ballistics out past 200 yards. I have a single-shot in that caliber that I use as a brush gun, where my shots are all within 50 yards or so. If most of your shots are around 70, it is a good round in the right weapon.

Happy Pappy 01-08-2008 12:00 PM

I've never shot a deer with a rifle, so maybe I'll talking "out of school", but... as devistating as a .223 is on a large woodchuck (turns the 1/2 of the inside of a woodchuck into jelly) why would that same principal work for a lung shot?There is someone I know in my town that helps a rancher up north in the fall calving.. he says theyhead-shot dozens of deer with varmint bullets and hasn't had one get away yet.He said they drop like a sack of potatoes. I've watched some u-tube videos of professional deer shooters (thinning heards out of urban areas) and they all drop immediately too? Just my 2c

cjwink 01-08-2008 12:25 PM

It is fine for deer.. So was my little 222.. My nephew is still mad at me for selling it.. But He was ok after I bought him a 243. :D.

texas8point 01-08-2008 12:58 PM

I grew up in Texas and my first deer rifle was a remington mohawk 600 .222
I killed and recovered all of the deer I shot with it ( probably 5). But I wouldn't recommend it either.
243 would be the smallest I would use.....happens to be the second rifle I used.....great rifle

Texasimport 01-08-2008 01:48 PM

I've seen whitetails go down with the little ole 22 hornet. I wouldn't use anything much smaller than 260 but that's my opinion.

ericstacy 01-08-2008 05:40 PM

I guess a .22 would be good under the right conditions but why?
Stick to ethical hunting. Right weapon for the right game.

isatarak 01-08-2008 07:43 PM

My girlfriend shoots a Mini-14 .223 and she has killed 2 deer each year the last 5 years. I sight it in for her at 100 yards and it is very accurate to that distance. I doubt she would ever take a shot that long though. Most of the time they go down on the spot or just a short run. This year we had to track one maybe 50 yards into the brush, but I've had to do that using my .270. It is a fine gun for deer with proper shot placement and short to mid range shots.

I saw a thread a while back about using .410 slugs and there were those who were about ready to fight to defend the .410 for deer hunting. If a .410 is OK, a .223 is better.

AmateurHunter44857 01-08-2008 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: glockman55

Armor piercing ammo is not a good choice for any game. I'm sure he didn't buy them over the counter, and I wouldn't want to get caught using them and explaining where I got them. They are made for shooting through cars and trucks and bullet proof vest,not game, it would leave a small hole with no expantion. If your buying a rifle just for Deer go bigger.
Actually he bought them at a local sporting goods store called Dunhams Discount Sports. He buys these rounds imported from russia that are wrapped in like a cardboard paper. There were 3 packages in the 50 or packages of 7.62 rounds. He couldn't believe they had them over the counter. I have a feeling it was a mistake but they were available for purchase. so he bought them. Thanks for the the answer and not a bunch of crap about being stupid and asking a dumb question like some on here are :)

timbercruiser 01-08-2008 09:10 PM

I know a guy that is talking about using his .17 on a deer.

RugerM77.270 01-09-2008 09:57 AM

The .223 will kill a deer fast. So will a .22 LR but we all agree not to shoot deer with a .22 don't we. We all need to see that one day we will flinch, our scope got bumped off somehow with out us knowing, the bullet will deflect, or the deer will move at the last instant and we will need some extra insurance that a larger caliber gives us. You never control all the variables when you drive so you get insurance. You never control all the variables when you hunt so get some insurance.

cjwink 01-09-2008 10:19 AM

I don't see bigger caliber's as insurance. To me, bullet performance is way more important than bullet size.

Tuco 01-09-2008 10:24 AM

The .223 or 5.56mm has killed many man sized targets around the world and with the right bullet and placement will kill any deer on the planet.

Splitear_Leland 01-09-2008 11:00 AM

I shot a deer with a spitwad once. I hit him perfectly, right behind the shoulder. He only made it 2-3 years, killed him deader than a hammer. I was shooting a 39 grain wad with approximatly 80 grains of spit, out of a 10" McDonald's straw. Since then I have killed many deer with that straw.

glockman55 01-09-2008 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: glockman55

Actually he bought them at a local sporting goods store called Dunhams Discount Sports. He buys these rounds imported from russia that are wrapped in like a cardboard paper. There were 3 packages in the 50 or packages of 7.62 rounds. He couldn't believe they had them over the counter. I have a feeling it was a mistake but they were available for purchase. so he bought them. Thanks for the the answer and not a bunch of crap about being stupid and asking a dumb question like some on here are :)
Ok if he bought them from Dunhams then they are just full meatal jacket not armor piercing. same effect on Deer, No Good.

okgobbler 01-09-2008 11:28 AM

Here's my take on the subject. You could frame a house with a tack hammer. The tack hammer would drive the nails, but it would take more time and more hits and more precise hits on each nail. A framing hammer or a nail gun would be much more efficient. Tack hammers work great for hanging pictures, repairing the dog house, and maybe occasionally driving a nail. .223's are great for plinking, good for varmints, and in a pinch occasionally alright for deer if the conditions are right. If you are going to be a carpenter, get get the correct woodworking tools, if your going to be a hunter use the correct tool for the job.

okgobbler 01-09-2008 11:35 AM

In the long run, the gun or bow itself is probably the least expensive part of hunting. license, tags, ammo, four-wheeler, stands, camo, scope, lease, camping supplies. A gun or bow will still work fine in 10+ years. All of these things must be replaced or bought every year or so. Some more some less, but you get the point. Save up $300-$400 andget a gunthatis for deer size game.

isatarak 01-09-2008 07:26 PM

The Mini-14 I am talking about cost more than my Model 700 Remington .270 by quite a bit. I don't know what made you think it's an issue of going "cheap". It's really about shot placement. I would'nt try a 200 yard shot with a .223, but 50 to 100 yards it is fine. Some shooters want something with not much recoil. I read guys talking about shooting deer with a bow at 50 yards. I would like my chances with a .223 a whole lot better than an arrow at 50 yards. Sure, the larger the caliber the more killing power. Everyone knows that. If you haven't dressed a deer shot by a .223 you don't have any idea what kind of damage they do.

Alsatian 01-09-2008 07:38 PM

Yes, the .223 is too small for deer. There is no ethical range for shooting deer with the .223. The .223 is too small for deer. You asked; I'm tellin' you.

SouthDakotaHunter 01-09-2008 07:40 PM

To small....

JagMagMan 01-09-2008 07:50 PM

Yes a .223 will kill a deer. It happens to be legal to use one on deer here in Texas.Is it a good choice for deer? NO! There are probably 20 cartridges, with not much more recoil than the .22's that are better choices for deer hunting!
If its legal where you hunt and you are good enough with it, then thats your business! But, even if its your cartridge of choice, you shouldn't be recomending it to others!

bigtim6656 01-09-2008 08:00 PM

zrexpilot 01-10-2008 12:11 AM

would you rather be shot with a 45acp or a .223.
Just anwser the question.

bigtim6656 01-10-2008 07:08 AM

neither

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

would you rather be shot with a 45acp or a .223.
Just anwser the question.

eelriver 01-10-2008 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

I shot a deer with a spitwad once. I hit him perfectly, right behind the shoulder. He only made it 2-3 years, killed him deader than a hammer. I was shooting a 39 grain wad with approximatly 80 grains of spit, out of a 10" McDonald's straw. Since then I have killed many deer with that straw.
I've also used the 10" McDonald's straw but have had much better performance out of an Arby's shake straw which is approx. 11.5" Give it a try Leland I think you'll be happier.;)

Michigander88 01-10-2008 07:38 AM

Are you structurally to small to shoot a larger caliber??

MI88

Rebel Hog 01-10-2008 08:01 AM

It's illegal to hunt with in FL, minimum .243.

ipscshooter 01-10-2008 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

It's illegal to hunt with in FL, minimum .243.
.223 is legal in Texas, as is ANY centerfire rifle. .204, .17 Rem., .25-20, .30 Carbine... Lots of cartridges that are less appropriate than a .223. But, that's all irrelevant, since the guy asking the question is from Louisiana. What is legal in Louisiana?

ORIGINAL: Alsation

Yes, the .223 is too small for deer. There is no ethical range for shooting deer with the .223. The .223 is too small for deer. You asked; I'm tellin' you.
I agree that it is smaller than what I would use (I use a .243 Win., and there are fruit-loops out there who say it is too small as well), but, if state law says it's legal, then that state's Parks & Wildlife Service has made the decision on ethics. .223 is legal here in Texas. I subscribe to Texas Trophy Hunters Magazine, and EVERY month they publish photos of deer killed with various .22 caliber rifles. Of course, our deer are not nearly as heavy as the deer from some other states, and in those states, the Parks & Wildlife Service has probably set a higher "minimum".

The "ethics" question does NOT apply to legal caliber/cartridge. Rather, it applies to things like choice of properly constructed bullet and limitations to range and shot selection that are within the caliber/cartridge's performance limitations.

Note: There's a guy over in the Guns forum who has posted about numerous one shot deer kills with a .22 Hornet. It's all about bullet selection and shot placement... I'd say a guy who chooses his shots, hits accurately, and makes clean one shot kills with a .223 is a helluva lot MORE ETHICAL than some clown who goes out and buys the latest whiz-bang super magnum deer slayer cartridge, but can't hit the broad side of a barn with it and ends up gut shooting deer due to the severe flinch he developed because of the rifle's noise and recoil...