Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Default What would you do?

You are hunting on the ground with a rifle. A deer approaches through heavy cover. You can see it well enough to determine that it is a big buck, possibly Boone & Crocket. When it closes to about 40 yards, you bring your gun up, and the deer stops and looks up at you. You’re looking through your scope; the deer is facing you, on red alert. It prances a bit, turns broadside, and all you can see is rump, but that tail is up, this hunt is going to be over in just a second. If he bolts, you’re not going to get a shot at all. Do you shoot him in the rump?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Default RE: What would you do?

I'll answer with a question. Would you take the shot if it was not a possible B&C candidate. If you wouldn't risk wounding a smaller buck, why would you riskwoundingamajesticanimal instead of giving him respect?

Ken
Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CCPaHunter

I'll answer with a question. Would you take the shot if it was not a possible B&C candidate. If you wouldn't risk wounding a smaller buck, why would you riskwoundingamajesticanimal instead of giving him respect?

Ken
What he said...
Old 01-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Shoot, I don't think there would be any risk of wounding. If you shoot a deer broadside in the rump with a high powered rifle, its gonna put him down. Question is how do you feel about wasting a lot of the best meat, and making the animal suffer for a few minutes? Is it worth it to claim a trophy buck? Good question about whether the decision would be affected by the size of the deer.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a situation close to this over this past weekend. Not A B/C buck but a nice 8 point. My daughter was the hunter two does and the buck came in fairly fast and she could not get the safety off the muzzle loader. I had to reach over and take it off for her. When I did the does (at 10 yards) caught me and blew. The buck bounded off ... I bleated twice and he put on the brakes. I'm telling my daughter to shoot him if she had a shot. When he put the brakes on he stopped facing away at 25 yards. I could see his tail and his neck and head. I was pretty sure she could put him down if she hit him in his neck but she didn't take the shot. She kept saying she couldn't see his body just his tail. and antlers. Well she had been remembering what I had been drilling into her when we decided she would try for her first. Take only higer percentage shots, basicaly broadside. I hadn't told her she could shoot so she didn't. I was very proud of her for not getting excited and just slinging lead.

So would I shoot it in the rump...no in the neck maybe. But only if I was very sure I could make the shot. Now my dad shot one years ago through the tail with a muzzle loader. Bullet went clean through the deer. deer went 40 yards and laid down. A follow up shot put him down for good, though the first shot was fatal.

To me B/C or just a doe they are all animals I respect. I try everything I can to make a quick clean kill no matter the size of the animal. I've let plenty walk because of not having a shot I liked.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never shot a deer up the poop chute, but I don't believe there is any fear of wounding. I know guys who have taken the shot, and in every case, the deer was D-E-A-D in their tracks.

To answer the question though, I absolutely would not take the shot.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a little confused, if you are talking about shooting at a deer standing broadside, no I'd probably pass, but if you are talking about a deer facing directly away,then definately yesI would. In fact I have taken that shot more than once with excellent results. You'd probably never see it done on television, but trust me it produces a quick kill.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 PM

I thought I made it clear in the original post, that we're looking at a broadside presentation of the rump. The Texas heart shot has been discussed ad nausem, but I've never been involved in a discussion about the situation I presented, that's why I presented it.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a clear shot at the hip/back spine area it would definitely take the deer down, you might have to give a follow up shot, but if you take out his rear running gear with the femoral vien it would be a deadly shot. I would probably take it.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been hunting for 15 years, the past 3 with my bow only. Even when I was hunting with a 12 gauge and 3 inch slugs, I would not have tried that shot unless I was hunting to feed my family. Because I am not hunting to feed my family, I WILL NOT risk taking that shot. Too many bad things can happen. The deer could bolt hundreds of yards and you may never find him. You may miss the big artery and wound the deer, causing him days if not weeks of misery before he dies a slow death. I do not agree with shooting him in the rump and relying on a follow up shot...noone can count on making a well placed kill shot on a running deer. Too many bad options for me to risk it. I pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.