HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/224971-preserve-free-range-hunt-white-tails.html)

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2007 09:23 PM

Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

I want to pull out of Michigan and begin taking a (week) in Illinois each year to go for a 130 + White-Tails (Yes, I love Michigan but humor me)

I have dumped some cash on Moose, Caribou & Bear and been successful..

But the whitetails.......I'm not sure of......

For my first 130 + hunt I'm looking at 2 options. I know I want to move forward with free range hunts for trophy white-tails but for my first drop of cash I'm contimplating these 2 options. Please help me here...My gut is telling me get the first monster out of my system and get him on my wall because 3 grand is alot of money. (We're all different but these are "my" feelings)

Option 1) A 3 day guided hunt with shotgun in trophy country (Free Range) Illinois for $3350?

Option 2) A 1000 acre ranch in Michigan 140 - 160 B&Cgauranteed Hunt for $3500?

_Dan 12-30-2007 09:28 PM

RE: Preserve or free range hunt? White-tails

Sounds like your looking for a kill and not a hunt......if thats the case sit behind the fence. For as many places as you have been hunting, I find that option hard to believe for you. Personally, I'd have a hard time looking at that deer on the wall and being satisfied with it.

But to each his own.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2007 09:34 PM

I agree...My issue is that I've been hunting 20 years and I have 2 120 class bucks on my wall..(142 deer since I started at 12 years old)....I have become impatient...I guess only for the first hunt...If I invest the money I want to put a big boy on the wall. I know til the day I die I'll never return to a ranch regardless of the fence size but for this first one... I'm torn...I guess like you said its to each his own...these are only my thoughts...thanks for the reply...

_Dan 12-30-2007 09:38 PM

Why the pressure to kill a 130"+ buck?

walker12 12-30-2007 09:39 PM

You seem like an accomplished hunter, so what makes you think you can't get out there and bust him on your own? Your hard work will pay off, I guarantee it. I agree with Dan, though. I don't think you would be 100% satisfied with a deer you payed to kill. Good things come to those who wait.

Keep up the good work.

LKNCHOPPERS 12-30-2007 10:08 PM

Well I would say forget the ranch hunt. You are going to get tired of explaining that you shot that deer on a ranch with fences and it will not mean as much to you in the long run. You could get out on quite a few DIY hunts on leased property for that kind of money. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Jasonlester 12-30-2007 10:15 PM

142 deer since I started at 12 years old
Are you saying you've killed 142 deer in 20 years? 7 every year. Seems you've killed plenty of deer. My thoughts are for you to actually wait for a big buck to show up. Spend one season waiting for the big buck. Scout and find some good spots and let the does and lesser bucks walk until you find a big buck.

Personaly I'd rather a free range hunt.

Just my 2 cents worth but I think you need to spend a year or two buck hunting if you want a big boy.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2007 10:30 PM

We practice QDM here in Michigan but usually the farmers boys take a 125 during the youth hunt. And then one of us may take a 125 during the rut.....During preason scouting I have never seen a 130+....I can tell anyone about anything when it comes to the act of taking a deer...I have seen and been under various scenerios....but my hands have never held the horns of a 20 inch deer with 10 inch tines.....Frusterates me considering the knowledge I have when in comes to the actual experience of taking deer....i could write books on what to do....Don't get me wrong...I appreciate and savor every moment and harvest...but this is my life in whitetails for the land I hunt in Michigan......

GregH 12-31-2007 01:05 AM

Do some research and find the counties that hold big deer. Then find a spot. I gave up a spot that I hunted for 20 years after only getting 100" bucks.

Rule #1 - Hunt where they live.

You won't be happy with a "guaranteed" 140" buck.

kevin1 12-31-2007 07:37 AM

Don't forget your camo:

_Dan 12-31-2007 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Do some research and find the counties that hold big deer. Then find a spot. I gave up a spot that I hunted for 20 years after only getting 100" bucks.

And thats gospel.

sjsfire 12-31-2007 08:03 AM

I've been hunting a hell of a lot longer than 20 years. I haven't harvested a deer yet that I'd consider mounting and hanging on my wall, and I've got a few that some would be proud to mount. But thats just me....I'd go the free range route. I don't like fenced in hunting, don't think guys that pay to hunt fenced areasare much of a hunter. But again, thats just me. You could find a nice one at a garage or estate sale for probably cheaper if your wanting a wall hanger, thats not me either. But remember, It's called hunting not killing.

glockman55 12-31-2007 08:38 AM

You might have to try somewhere else other than Mich. to get a chance at that wall hanger.I know we have some in this state, but Mich. has the largest amount of hunters in the country. Maybe look at Iowa, Montana, Northeastern Wyoming. We go to Wy. for Mule Deer and do it our self, No Outfitter. Sure it's harder to get thatBig boy but it can be done. A freind of mine took a 10 pt.150 class whitetail in Iowa this Oct. Bowhunting, no guide. After he shot it he saw a bigger 12 point that would make the books, They met a landowner out there that lets them hunt his property, no charge. I'm sure they must give him something, I know I would. I'm at the same point in my life as to wanting to get that Buck of a lifetime, but I just can't see myself paying big $$$ for it. If I ever did I would go to Canada on a guided hunt.I passed up a lot of small bucks this year and never took anything. I heard they took a 135 class buck in my back yard this year, well close to my property I live on, I don't hunt it, I like to see Deer in my yard. And my wife won't let me hunt here anyway..LOL.. Good Luck and keep hunting.

Champlain Islander 12-31-2007 08:55 AM

You have got to be kidding me. There isn't a choice here if you are truly a sportsman. I think your quest for a 130 class buck has clouded your judgment. I want to be kind here and others may not but I would suggest you sit down and really think about what you are asking. Are you looking for an excuse to go on a canned hunt? I doubt that you will find many here that will give a green light for that shortcut. A mount on the wall is nothing but a bunch of plastic with a deer hide and antlers attached which should give continuous remembrance of a great time in a sportsman’s hunting life. If you are looking for a shortcut just buy areproduction mount to impress your friends and go with something much larger since that would amount to the same thing. The only one you really need to impress is yourself and how could you do that knowing you shot a deer that had no chance to survive. I hope you find the wisdom to not do something you will be ashamed of in the future.

IAhuntr 12-31-2007 09:24 AM

This thread sure makes me appreciate living in Iowa. For the price of a non-resident tag, there areplenty ofpublic areas where you wouldstand a fairly good chance at seeing a 130"+ buck during the rutif you are patient enough not to pull the trigger on the first deer that walks by.
I alsohave to agreethat hunting for a "guaranteed" fenced-introphy buck wouldn'tprovide much of a feeling of accomplishment. If they can guarantee you will shoot a deer, that means you need no hunting skills whatsoever. You are just buying a pen raised deer to shoot. Not much different than just buying an existingmount off e-bay imho.

Jimmy S 12-31-2007 09:36 AM

Something just doesn't sound right here.

Like others have said it sounds like a kill not a hunt.
I guess your reasons for hunting and mine are totally different.
I don't need to ask your question and would never consider a fenced hunt.

You certainly have the right to hunt whatever way you feel is best to achieve your goal.
It's just that our goals are totally different.

Go kill that big buck that is pulling at your heart strings. Once that is completed, go "hunting" again.

Kid 12-31-2007 09:46 AM

I have to agree with pretty much all of the above. Threads like this make me glad i live in Illinois. I would never consider paying $3000 plus to hunt Whitetails, "guaranteed" or not. Anyways, i am sure you can purchase a 130 class deer already mounted for that kind of money, saves you the energy of having to actually hunt.

spikeman 12-31-2007 09:54 AM

Come to AB Canada. Share the expense and see big deer but killing one is another thing lol.

kshunter 12-31-2007 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Well said!

bryant1 12-31-2007 10:09 AM

Let me tell you a true story-
My dad, like you, has taken around 150 bucks in his lifetime.He started hunting QDM clubs about 15 years ago. He
has huntedalotof QDM clubsin north Florida, southern Geogia, andSE Alabama. He LOVES deer hunting and he truly eats,sleeps, and breathes deer hunting. This is the guy who will gladly build extravagant food plots and house stands everywhere on our clubs and private land.

He has mounted 9 or 10 bucks in the past that were good bucks for the area, but not true monsters (100-115). One day he said he was done mounting deer until he killed a 120+ buck. He was contemplating dropping thereally expensive QDM club he wasin to just hunt with me and my brother in a local club(non-QDM managed)we all are in. He wanted to kill a non-fenced monster buck forever, but would never settle for a pen buck.

He has been in the club for 6 years without killing a great buck in there, and this past Saturday he killed a 15 point non-typical that is going to go way over 120, probably more like 135! It is a true, non-fenced, giant north Florida buckthat weighed around 200 lbs and is going to age at least4.5 yrs old. Split brow tines and 5 inch bases withmassivelythick horns.

If you keep non-fenced huntingareasknown forlarge bucks with a QDM program your day will come also. It took my old man 30+ years of deer hunting!

Charlie P 12-31-2007 10:26 AM

Come on you really can't be serious, anything guarenteed is not a hunt.

So you get this wall hanger, you going to be proud of your hunting story.

It was a cold morning so cold the guide had trouble unlocking the chain link fence. He then turned to me and said looking for a 140 huh, I think I know where ol ear tagged A42 might be, follow me.He likes to bed down over here especially after we put the sleeping pills in his feed. Let me check the gps to see if the chip implanted in him has been activated yet. Yup he's right in front of us about 100 yards and according to his medication chart he should be able to make it to his feet anytime now get ready. Make sure none of the other genetic freaks we have locked up back here aren't in the way hate to have to charge you twice. Get your safety off don't worry about your shot because he can't go far with out running into the fence.BANG.

GET OUT AND ACTUALLY HUNT FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Champlain Islander 12-31-2007 10:35 AM

New job for you Charlie, a canned hunting outdoor writer.:D:D

Charlie P 12-31-2007 11:05 AM

My next story is on your rights if your guide tell you it's a 149 and it's really a 155 ,can you get out of the extra fee.

srwshooter 12-31-2007 01:04 PM

i am not trophy hunter,i like to hunt just to see if i can kill the nicest bucks on the property i'm on. there may not be a 130 class deer there,but i don't care. i have 6 mounted ,6pt,7pt,3-8pts and a 11pt and i really could care less what any of them score. just enjoy hunting ,all the ' kill a trophy pressure' comes from all those hunting shows you watch and the are just 'killin' not hunting anyway. and make sure you teach your kids to HUNT,not to kill.......

srwshooter,TC&T3,4ME

MichiganWhitetails74 12-31-2007 02:18 PM

Point Taken!

teejarrardjr 12-31-2007 06:40 PM

I have hunted all over the United states and Canada. I have shot my biggest Bucks in canada and saw the biggest buck in IOWa. .I want to tell you . Everyones life is so different . This is totally you choice to go on a Preserve hunt. I once was totally against it .But The last few years I have had alot of things happen in my life. It made me realize that life is short do only what makes you happy not some so called professional hunter on TV or any guys who only spend a few hundred dollars on Public land hunts .I have hunted alot of Public land and spent alot of time and money going all over public land hunting .When you spend a ton of time in the woods and you have some hunter bust a big buck away from you. And then your season is over .Well after all the time away from family and your JOb . No Deer. The key to having a good hunt in a preserve if doing plenty of research on the outfitter. There are some preserve hunts that are not near fair chase and then there are some that are as hard as public land deer. These are the ones you want to hunt at. Just because the outfitter is well known doesnt mean his hunt is good. I have spent several thousand dollars going on fair chase hunts and you will get a very bad hunt eventually and then even spend $4000 and come home with nothing. I have went on hunts to Canada with guys who spend $3000 on the hunt and $600 on airline tickets and spent around another $1000 on License and spending money traveling and go home with nothing. Untill you have done this dont say you want be proud of a deer you shot at a preserve. I would rather go hunt a preserve anyday than spend $5000 and have nothing to show for it. Fair chase is something most hunters dont even practice any more. Food plots in the winter months , only food source for miles ,Trail cameras 24/7 in the woods , no deer then move it and find some deer while your sleeping . The real meaning of Fair chase is not practiced anymore. See we dont know what each day will bring us . So enjoy every opertunity you get hunting . YOu might get sick an no able to get in the woods. I watched a guy who booked a hunt at a preserve while fighting Cancer. He was so happy even having treatments just waiting to go on his hunt. We finally made it and he shot a !40 to 150 inch buck .He was the happiest he has even been . He passed away 2 days after his hunt. His wife said that hunt kept him going knowing he was going to get that buck he always wanted. We should all support all type of hunting .If we dont our grandchildren will not be able to hunt. So good luck on your decision do what ever makes you happy .YOu will be proud of a buck from a preserve. .You will also see bucks there you will never see in the wild. 200 plus inches

farm hunter 12-31-2007 06:53 PM

I think you got your answer here.

I'll add that I've hunted 25 years on the same 360 acres - I've taken over 50 deer, and had never taken a buck over 100" until this year. I guess as much as I like big bucks, I cannot even convince myself to leave my own property to hunt deer!

FH

timbercruiser 12-31-2007 07:39 PM

If you want to go to a guided hunt or a large fenced area to hunt then go ahead and enjoy it and kill a biggun. I've thought about it, but havn't yet, but if I wanted to I definitely would..

LIAF 12-31-2007 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: teejarrardjr

I have hunted all over the United states and Canada. I have shot my biggest Bucks in canada and saw the biggest buck in IOWa. .I want to tell you . Everyones life is so different . This is totally you choice to go on a Preserve hunt. I once was totally against it .But The last few years I have had alot of things happen in my life. It made me realize that life is short do only what makes you happy not some so called professional hunter on TV or any guys who only spend a few hundred dollars on Public land hunts .I have hunted alot of Public land and spent alot of time and money going all over public land hunting .When you spend a ton of time in the woods and you have some hunter bust a big buck away from you. And then your season is over .Well after all the time away from family and your JOb . No Deer. The key to having a good hunt in a preserve if doing plenty of research on the outfitter. There are some preserve hunts that are not near fair chase and then there are some that are as hard as public land deer. These are the ones you want to hunt at. Just because the outfitter is well known doesnt mean his hunt is good. I have spent several thousand dollars going on fair chase hunts and you will get a very bad hunt eventually and then even spend $4000 and come home with nothing. I have went on hunts to Canada with guys who spend $3000 on the hunt and $600 on airline tickets and spent around another $1000 on License and spending money traveling and go home with nothing. Untill you have done this dont say you want be proud of a deer you shot at a preserve. I would rather go hunt a preserve anyday than spend $5000 and have nothing to show for it. Fair chase is something most hunters dont even practice any more. Food plots in the winter months , only food source for miles ,Trail cameras 24/7 in the woods , no deer then move it and find some deer while your sleeping . The real meaning of Fair chase is not practiced anymore. See we dont know what each day will bring us . So enjoy every opertunity you get hunting . YOu might get sick an no able to get in the woods. I watched a guy who booked a hunt at a preserve while fighting Cancer. He was so happy even having treatments just waiting to go on his hunt. We finally made it and he shot a !40 to 150 inch buck .He was the happiest he has even been . He passed away 2 days after his hunt. His wife said that hunt kept him going knowing he was going to get that buck he always wanted. We should all support all type of hunting .If we dont our grandchildren will not be able to hunt. So good luck on your decision do what ever makes you happy .YOu will be proud of a buck from a preserve. .You will also see bucks there you will never see in the wild. 200 plus inches
Read thisand then decide,only you can make the decision on what is right for you.

JakeinTX 12-31-2007 09:11 PM

If you are looking for a big buck and you are in the $3500 range come to South Texas. I have yet to take a buck (I am also from Michigan), but you should be able to line up either a nice free range hunt down here or a fenced ranch 4000 acres + to accomidate you. Contact Texas Trophy Hunters and see what info they can provide to you.

Jake

crokit 01-01-2008 05:20 AM

Michigan- I noticed in your original post you state that your looking for a " HUNT ". Stick with that!! Any canned deer " HUNT ", is deer killing , not hunting, IMHO.

Champlain Islander 01-01-2008 06:55 AM

Clearly your idea of a hunt is you need to kill something to have it successful. I am sorry you missed what hunting really means. Your excuse that nobody practices fair chase anymore is bunk. I don't hunt over a feeder or food plot but where legal I don't condemn anyone who does. Those deer are wild, not confined and do have a fair chance of survival. The person dying of Cancer is a totally different thing, so don't add that as a reason to kill something in a confined space with no chance of survival. The last quote tells it all. If you want to see large 200+ bucks go to any zoo. Shooting them there would be just as sporting as the preserve. In fact that trophy buck you admire and hope to get on your wall might just possibly be a sick animal right out of a zoo. I bet you take the easy road on everything you do.

snip 01-01-2008 02:10 PM

If you want something affordable with a nice animal's look at www.huntsd.net

358WINMAN 01-01-2008 05:06 PM

Everyone seems to have a strong sense of " hunting " vs. a preserve deer hunt. At the present time, we still have the opportunity to hunt whitetails where they live. However, how long will this last???
In my 30+ years of hunting, I have seen so many changes in land availability, hunter's access issues, anti's reaking political havoc on local and state level politicians, firearm discharge laws, etc.. you name it!
Will hunting as we know it now, change and become a sport for the rich who can afford to travel to the wide open spaces in pursuit of their quarry? Will my sons and grandchildren have the SCI Club or NAHC to prevent land loss in smaller states like mine? Will they have to go to a preserve to hunt?
All these questions enter my mind when this debate rolls around. I hate like hell to think that just maybe, in 25 years or so, unless you live in a hunter friendly state with lots of land and game, guys in my situation will be taking their annual deer hunting trip to the " Super TrophyWhack "Em Lodge " for $4000.00!!!
Will I always have a choice? Will some of you discredit my love for hunting because I'm forced to participate in this type of deer hunting ? Will I be able to afford a trip to another statethat allows "fair chase deer hunting"
when non- resident tags are becoming rediculously expensive ???
I guess the point I'm trying to make is, how long until the north eastern portion of the U.S.A. loses the ability to hunt deer " fairly"? If this becomes a reality, will guys who partake in this hunt lose your respect??
Something for all to reflect upon... What's down the road?
As for MichiganWhitetail74... for now, go hunt that big buck on his terms. You'll love yourself all the more when you put it all together and the moment of truth becomes reality. I hope you get 'em!

Mr. Longbeard 01-01-2008 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I want to pull out of Michigan and begin taking a (week) in Illinois each year to go for a 130 + White-Tails (Yes, I love Michigan but humor me)

I have dumped some cash on Moose, Caribou & Bear and been successful..

But the whitetails.......I'm not sure of......

For my first 130 + hunt I'm looking at 2 options. I know I want to move forward with free range hunts for trophy white-tails but for my first drop of cash I'm contimplating these 2 options. Please help me here...My gut is telling me get the first monster out of my system and get him on my wall because 3 grand is alot of money. (We're all different but these are "my" feelings)

Option 1) A 3 day guided hunt with shotgun in trophy country (Free Range) Illinois for $3350?

Option 2) A 1000 acre ranch in Michigan 140 - 160 B&Cgauranteed Hunt for $3500?

sounds like you have the money to by any size deer you want;) And who says money cant buy happieness

MichiganWhitetails74 01-01-2008 07:06 PM

I appreciate all of the feedback in regards to my post. I'm impressed by the different views. I'm seeing alot of preserve hunts on VS here and there. Am I wrong? Usually out of Texas? Something for all of us to think about.

I want the group to know that I appreciate and love hunting very much.Even whenI take a doe not a moment goes by that I don't take a moment to respect hunting and the animal. I do professional video on all my hunts and I do this because "of" the respect I haveand the importance of cherishing my memories.

In 1995 - 1999 I went through a traditional phase and actually harvested deer with osage stick bows with cedar arrows wrapped with sinew and flint heads. I did this because I wanted to step back and experience the hunt with the bare minimum. It truely was the ulitmate challenge to harvest an animal off the knuckle. I'm dropping this blurb inhere just so the group can understand a little about myself and some of the things I have done along the way.

This post has helped me and given me a more clear understanding on what is right.

I am not perfect. And it just goes to show that even accomplished hunters have different thoughts based on their current hunting situtation or beliefs.

I'm 33 now and my day will come.....Anyone up for doing some door knocking in Illinois? :)Take Care!!

MichiganWhitetails74 01-01-2008 07:14 PM

I wanted to make one more quick comment to some of those that had the same statement.....

I heard people saying to do whats right for you.

I still believe this isimportant even if it defies what "hunting" is all about.

I am not going to do a preserve. But for one reason or another there are people out there that do nothing but. If thats what makes them happy then that is what they should do.

They just better NEVER flare their wing feathers up when I walk into theirtrophy room.[8D]

teejarrardjr 01-01-2008 07:34 PM

There is a lot of guys who dont care about high fence hunting but take a look .Most guys has access to property that usually holds deer that score over 130 inch. If most of those guys could grow up in a area where the biggest deer you see would score 90 inch and the world record for the area is 120 . Then they dont understand .Every guy that has property that holds Quality deer dont understand how it is to go out spend 50 or more days a season in a tree stand only to see a 6 point or a little 8 the whole season .And guys who cant take several weeks to go and hunt a property out of state and come home with nothing. Im telling you if hunters dont stop arguing about how guys choose to hunt then we are all going to lose something we love. These guys dont realize once these animal rights activist find away to take just one method of our hunting heritage away from us they want quit untill we all are sitting on the couch picking our nose. animal rights activist work harder on stopping hunting than most hunters do to protect it. Look over seas I talked to a guy who wants to come here just to Bowhunt .They took away there hunting rights from Bowhunters and Canada is getting bad with stopping some hunters because of animal rights . Just wait we are next so we better stop being so judgemental on how some guys want to go on a high fence hunt. Dont talk bad about a place unless you have been treated bad. I have never hunted a high fence place and Ill take up for it. We better get a little smarter.I plan to hunt one in the next few years .

djschuett 01-01-2008 07:44 PM

Why don't you just save the effort and buy a 130 class mount on e-bay since it seems like the score and the wall trophy is all you're out to buy?

Schultzy 01-01-2008 09:07 PM

There is a lot of guys who dont care about high fence hunting but take a look .Most guys has access to property that usually holds deer that score over 130 inch. If most of those guys could grow up in a area where the biggest deer you see would score 90 inch and the world record for the area is 120 . Then they dont understand .Every guy that has property that holds Quality deer dont understand how it is to go out spend 50 or more days a season in a tree stand only to see a 6 point or a little 8 the whole season .And guys who cant take several weeks to go and hunt a property out of state and come home with nothing. Im telling you if hunters dont stop arguing about how guys choose to hunt then we are all going to lose something we love. These guys dont realize once these animal rights activist find away to take just one method of our hunting heritage away from us they want quit untill we all are sitting on the couch picking our nose. animal rights activist work harder on stopping hunting than most hunters do to protect it. Look over seas I talked to a guy who wants to come here just to Bowhunt .They took away there hunting rights from Bowhunters and Canada is getting bad with stopping some hunters because of animal rights . Just wait we are next so we better stop being so judgemental on how some guys want to go on a high fence hunt. Dont talk bad about a place unless you have been treated bad. I have never hunted a high fence place and Ill take up for it. We better get a little smarter.I plan to hunt one in the next few years .
I can tell you this much the Anti's will stop High Fence hunting long before they'll stop free range hunting! It doesn't take much thought to figure out why either! IMO high fence hunting is bad for hunting period!