Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ***UPDATED***Help..they ate my deer! >

***UPDATED***Help..they ate my deer!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

***UPDATED***Help..they ate my deer!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 AM

Default ***UPDATED***Help..they ate my deer!

Hello all,

I arrowed a doe yesterday evening at dusk and spent about three hours looking for her. I went back out this am and found her a ways off just now. The yotes have eaten her nose/ears and a## out. Is this now a wasted deer, with contaminated meat? Or can I save anything? I feel awful that I cound not find it last night. What are some your experences with this?

Thanx

Update:

Well I went out and took a few pics(attached). Worse yet tunred out to be a button head . I am thinking about setting up over the carcus and puting some lead through whatever comes to eat it. I just need tocheck with my regs and see whats allowed 1st. I only have about two week lift in season here and I have plenty of tags so no worries there. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help..they ate my deer!

Happened to me this year... I had to go back to look for my doe in the morning and 'yotes had eaten the butt end out of it!

Meat is no good in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally wouldn't recover it after the yotes have eaten off from it. They usually go into the azz end first and IMO contaminate the hind quarters and possibly back straps. I would just chalk it up to a lost animal and continue to hunt. I do know others who bring it home but that is their choice. I know one person who brought a similar deer into a check station and the warden who happened to be there took the deer and gave him another tag.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

That makes sense. I'll bet if SGTLOWE called the game warden in his area and asked about it they would promise to give him a new tag in exchange for the scavanged doe carcass. They get a research animal and he continues to hunt...win/win.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Default one more pic

pic

Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: one more pic

Once the coyotes have been at it, I would leave it alone. Unfortunate as it may be.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 PM

that happened to me durring bow season.
I wouldn't eat the meat, just count the loss and keep hunting.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:08 PM

don't eat that mess.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I had a yote eat the arse of a doe I shot last year.I just trimmed around the eaten portion and I ate it with no problems.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Spike

Let the yotes have it. the deer that is and then give the yotes lead for desert.

Quick Reply: ***UPDATED***Help..they ate my deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.