Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Low Numbers

Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Low Numbers

I dropped off a doe my grandson shot this afternoon at a processor I've used for several years. I noticed that the tag was 338 which is the number of deer brought in. Last year they processed close to 1600 and they don't have but a month left in this season. .. A couple of other hunters were there and they say they aren't moving yet, too many acorns.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Low Numbers

I don't know about your area, but we had an abundance of natural food for the deer this year. No reason to come out of the woods, really. In the many trips I have taken around the property, I would hardly say there is a lack of deer. I would say there seemed to be a lack of hunting activity this year, though. Just didn't seem to be as many people and the ones that were out didn't seem to hunt as hard as they usually do. Just my opinion.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

In my area, the weather seemed to affect the harvest this year more than anything.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

As IAhuntr said, here in Iowa the weather has had a big effect. We've had significant storms/cold come through every weekend of the shotgun seasons, including the bonus weekend they threw in this past weekend. The harvest is down about 25,000 from last year, which probably won't be made up during the remaining 3 weeks of Late Muzzleloader season, although I'm going to try to do my part.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The majority of my stomping grounds here in Saskatchewan saw a significant loss as a result of last winter. Heavy snow fall that came early and kept pilling up to amount to the largest amountin many years. Couple thatwith a rising wolf population = approx 40% of the herd not seeing spring thaw.

The bow/ml zone I hunt wasn't effected as much. Main reasons no wolves and more food sources.

Inthe north it looks no better for this winter...could be many years till they rebound to anything close to what we have been accustom to over the past decade[].
Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

The harvest was down in my area of Ontario. The weather played havoc with us in both our rifle and blackpowder seasons (6 days each). The numbers were down as well up on Manitoulain Island where my Dad hunts the rifle season. The past two winters have been fairly easy so I was expecting better than average numbers.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 PM

Im from FL too and I did notice the acorns dropped really early this year. That may have affected the deer movement.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Numbers are down in both harvest and (sightings for me)in Ohio this year. Just came back from S.Ohio where I never saw a deer. My brother saw the same 4 does. I don't believe we have the numbers the dnr is reporting. Hunted in 3 different area's of the state and it was all the same.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Timber, The acorns down here in Brevard county are so plentiful that it made the headlines in the paper this week. If it's any consolation the article talked about the abundance in food helping the game population and historically the next few years the oak trees produce few acorns. hopefully next year we'll see lots of game.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Spike

I hunt south east ohio and i've seen a lot of deer this season.Saw 5 today when i was out with the muzzle loader! In regular gun season i saw and average of 25 a day ! going out in the morning it is our last day for muzzle loader .