Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 only shoot sabot slugs through a rifled barrel? >

only shoot sabot slugs through a rifled barrel?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

only shoot sabot slugs through a rifled barrel?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: only shoot sabot slugs through a rifled barrel?

i just bought a mossberg and they told me that they recommend sabot only but alsosaidyou can shoot regualer shot aswell i looked at a rifled 500 at walmart but and there not rifled every much as for slugs i would call who ever makes your gun
Old 12-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Benneke makes rifled slugs that are designed for rifled barells, these are very accurate and fairly cheap. I love them and they are th eonly slugs ill use out of my rifled mossberg 500 barell.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the first year I actually shot sabots out of any of my rifled barrels. I have a Mossberg 500 with a cantilever rifled barrel that I used to shoot Winchester XX slugs and could group 1 1/2 at 80 yards. My 1187 with a cantilever rifled barrel I shot Remington Sluggers just as well. This year I boought some Lightfield Hybred sabots just to try them out. They aren't any more accurate than the cheap slugs. The only problem you'll have is the regular slugs will lead your rifled barrel up but if you clean them you shouldn't have a problem. I've shot regular slugs through my rifled barrels for years. I agree on not shooting sabots through a smooth bore though.......waste of $$
Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Correct me if I am wrong... old time slugs (pumpkin balls) are for smooth bore ; newer sabots are for rifled

Old 12-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Javabird17

Correct me if I am wrong... old time slugs (pumpkin balls) are for smooth bore ; newer sabots are for rifled

You are correct....never heard them called pumpkin balls though. Foster slugs are the common name.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

The Brenneke(r) slug is a type of shotgun slug designed to be fired from smoothbore barrels.

[edit] History and design
The Brenneke slug is similar in appearance to a rifled Foster slug. The Brenneke slug was developed by the famous German gun and ammunition designer Wilhelm Brenneke (1865–1951) in 1898. The original Brenneke slug is a solid lead slug with fins cast onto the outside, much like a rifled Foster slug. There is a plastic, felt or cellulose fiber wad attached to the base that remains attached after firing. This wad serves both as a gas seal and as a form of drag stabilization, much like the mass-forward design of the Foster slug. It's a myth that the "fins" serve to impart spin to the projectile; their purpose is to decrease the bearing surface of the slug to the barrel and therefore reduce friction and increase velocity.
Rifled slug gun barrels and chokes that provide spin and stability are available, however they require sabot type projectiles in order to achieve longer ranges and accuracy than their smooth bore counterparts. Rifled slug barrels and chokes will not provide longer effective ranges or increased accuracy when used to fire traditional, or non-sabot type slugs.
If one keeps the maximum range to around 75 yards (50 being optimum) then Brenneke and Foster slugs are extremely effective game getters in smooth bore shotguns. A rifled barrel firing a sabot (which is a sub-bore diameter bullet encased in a two piece bore diameter "boot" that is spun by the rifling then separates from the bullet after exiting the barrel) is capable of accuracy approaching that of a rifle out to an effective range of about 125 yards (110 to 115 meters), which was previously unheard of in smooth bore shotguns firing solid projectiles (slugs) or multiple projectiles, i.e. shot pellets.

[edit] Use and availability
Since the Brenneke slug is solid, rather than hollow like the Foster slug, the Brenneke will generally deform less on impact and provide deeper penetration (see terminal ballistics). The sharp shoulder and flat front of the Brenneke mean that its external ballistics restrict it to short range use, as it does not hold velocity well. The Brenneke slug in 12 gauge is well suited for large and dangerous game at close ranges, and deer sized game or antipersonnel use out to about 100 yards (90 meters). Brenneke slugs are somewhat more accurate than the Foster slugs, but are usually more expensive.
Brenneke slugs are often used by police equipped with riot shotguns. Even out of a smoothbore barrel, the slugs will provide accuracy sufficient for antipersonnel use out to ranges about 100 yards (90 meters). This allows the officer the ability to use the shotgun as a reasonable substitute for a rifle at medium ranges.
Brenneke slugs are loaded by a number of different makers. Recently the Brenneke company, of Hanover, Germany, started marketing loaded ammunition, with Brenneke type slugs, saboted slugs, and buckshot.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

...foster slugs have "rifling" cast into them to create the spin required to fly accurately...
Not True! The "rifling" on a Foster style slug does not impart any spin! The Foster slug works on the "rock in a sock" theory for stabilization, the same way a badminton shuttlecock works. The nose is heavier than the tail, which never allows the tail to catch up and cause it to tumble. That is why Foster style slugs are hollow. I have put about 250 Foster style slugs through my fully rifled Remington factory barrel and it still shoots as good as the day i first took it out of the box. As stated previously though, lead fouling is a problem with them, so use a good lead remover and you will be fine. Like a few of the others i never shoot past about 60 yards or so with them as the accuracy goes away fast on them. On the other hand, at about .720 inches, these big old slugs are devastating at short range. They kill like the Hammer of Thor!