Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.410 for deer

Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .410 for deer

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

ORIGINAL: cjwink

So a 7mm round is adequate for deer but not a 10.4 mm round?? Huh.. It is perfectly capable of putting down a deer. The only issue you have is accuaracy from a non rifled barrell..
Wink, the difference is the amount of energy the two rounds produce and can transfer. It has nothing to do with the actual diameter of the bullet.

A typical standard 7mm uses a 145 grn controlled expansion bullet and can deliver near 2000 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards.

Where as a standard 3 inch mag .410 uses a simple non expanding chunk of lead that weighs around 90 grns (sometimes less) and delivers around 400 ft/lbs of energy at 50 yards.

So even though the .410 slug is larger in diameter than the 7mm the 7mm rifle would make a larger wound channel and transfer more energy to the target than the lighter, less powered larger slug.

There really isn't much comparison between a high powered rifle and a .410 slug. Even a .223 would create a larger wound channel and deliver more energy than a .410 slug will.

In an earlier post I said the 410 was closer to a 32 handgun in ballistics, after looking at more data I will amend that and say depending on what load you pick in each it is closer to falling in between a 38 and a .357. However the pistol rounds would be using a better bullet. When I was looking earlier I was only comparing 2.5 inch loads because that is all I can use in my winchester lever gun. Some of the 3 inch loads are a bit more impressive, if you want to call those numbers impressive.

I still feel that if you keep the range limitations in mind and pick the right shot it can get the job done. If you can put something through the lungs the deer will die, really doesn't matter what you use to make the hole.

Paul
I agree, I am not trying to compare engery transfer.. I don't really get that excited about knock down power. After all a Bow/Arrow has little to no knock down power, but will still kill a deer. Somepeople seem to think knock down power it the key to killing deer. It is not. My uncle kills most of his deer with a 22 mag.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sighted it in at 50 tards
Hey, just because they have mental problems is no reason to use them for target practice.

I killed my first deer with a .410 and a slug but the shot distance on the small doe was only about 30 yards. So yeah it will kill a deer but I think there are other choices that don't kick any worse that would be better. I don't see many rifled barrel .410's with decent sights on them and accuracy from a smooth barrel with just a front bead sight is pretty poor. I'd even take a rifle firing a pistol cartridge like a 357 mag or a rifle chambered for the 7.62x39 mm over a .410. Both barely kick and the bullets would be of a higher jacketed quality than the simple chunk of lead from the .410.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I wonder why NEF/H+R doesn't make a rifled /scopeable .410 as everyone seems to have shot deer with smooth bore .410's ?Looks like they'd sell! Harold * a unchoked rifled barrel could shoot 41 Mag bullets
Old 12-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

My son his first with a .410 and it was a 150" even buck. I must say I was very proud and its great for a kid when hunting with his dad.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

I wonder why NEF/H+R doesn't make a rifled /scopeable .410 as everyone seems to have shot deer with smooth bore .410's ?Looks like they'd sell! Harold * a unchoked rifled barrel could shoot 41 Mag bullets
I think they make a 45/410 Survivor.. But I don't know if it is rifled.. Taurus makes a 410 pistol that is rifled though..
Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 AM

I completely agree with you on the knockdown power thing, it is a myth. However if you use a gun with a better designed bullet that has more velocity and can transfer more energy it will usually create a bigger wound channel which is what you want with fir arm.

The question is how much damage do you really need create. Collapsed lungs are collapsed lungs right.

Paul
Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

While shooting a deer with a 410 won't do it any good, there are many better choices, few worse.

If you know someone thatkilled a pile of deer with a 410, you also know someon that lost a pile.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Really? I know guys that have hunted with 410's and have not lost any deer. I think it depends on what kind of shots your willing to take with them. I know plenty of guys that have lost deer with high powered rifles, modern inlines and slug guns. Didn't have anything to do with the weapon, it had to do with the poor shots they made on the animals.

You put a .410 slug in the vitals of a broad side deer within 40 yards and it will kill him. It won't drop him on the spot, but he will die. Now if you go slinging puny little 410 slugs at 80 to 100 yards with no regard for where they will hit then I agree you will lose some, probably more than you kill. However that is not the fault of the weapon, but the fault of the person using it.

I'm glad to say I haven't lost a deer yet with any weapon, but then again I have let quite a few walk because I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot.

Paul
Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

While shooting a deer with a 410 won't do it any good, there are many better choices, few worse.

If you know someone thatkilled a pile of deer with a 410, you also know someon that lost a pile.
I don't buy that theory at all. All of the deer my niece have killed were with a .410 slug or with buckshot. None were inside of 30yds either,no scope was used and all dropped within sight. Common sense and good shot placement, not bigger more powerful bullets,mean a better chance of recovery.

My son got a Rossi Matched Pair 22LR/20ga for Christmas. The only reason we got the 20ga instead of the .410 is because I thought it'd be better in the long run for him to hunt deer and turkey with because he can use it when he's older. I've noticed a couple things with this gun already, the 22LR barrel is tapped and will get a scope soon and the 20ga is a little strong for him right now. I do know, however, that with all of the heavy thickets around us I wouldn't hesitate to throw buckshot in the 20ga and take it on a bedding area stalk. As small as it is, it'll fit through even the tightest thickets easily and the barrel has more than enough knockdown power.