Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Idiot Mark

Old 12-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idiot Mark

I've been shooting guns ever since i can remember and i have never got hit by the scope.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

I've done it. I confess, but it was with the excitement of my first buck and luckily it did not leave a cut. I didn't even notice it until my brow started hurting a little after cleaning the deer.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

been there, done that! 7mm Mag. whacked me in vermont almost 30 years ago. Missed a great buck near Rutland. Bandaged, then 2 days later, 2 stitches!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 PM

About every other year my dad gets one from his muzzleloader. I just don't understand it. His .300 win mag kicks much more and never leaves one. Guess he just gets a little closer. His famous words are am I bleeding?
Old 12-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see where it could happen if you had to shoot in an awkward position or in a hurry. Never happened to me.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Spike

Idiot mark, I guess!!!! That is saying it mildly. I borrowed a ML from a friend and he said it was shooting dead on. As usual I decided to fire it to make sure. I laid it across my shooting bench and ever so gently squeezed the trigger. That sucker came back and smacked me in the eye. It hurt like hell, but I just took it in stride and walked up to see where it hit. At 50 yards I didn't even hit a pizza box. As I headed back to the bench I couldn't believe I was following my own blood trail. I had blood streaming down my face. I went into my house and called to my wife. What a reception I received from her. I decided I knew what I had done wrong so I loaded her up and held it further from my face and let fly. Everything was now fine after a few minor adjustments. I loaded it up again and fired one last time. I couldn't believe it!!! The *$#*&@# hit me again and in the same spot. What an idiot!!!!! Needless to say, I didn't fire it again. My friend then recalled that he had changed scopes and hadn't set it up properly.
Now mind you, I am a fairly intelligent person and have shot weapons all my life. This will not happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got mine in Vermont due to the following. Three of us went up to hunt, long ride, and much bragging about who's the best shot, etc,etc. Nearly a year later, I found out the real deal.

After we made camp, I went to do a bit of scouting. Next morning, sitting in a wind transition spot, I see a monster, 140+ class, come out to a scrape 150yds from me. Cool,calm,collected, I get a good rest and send 175gr 7mm mag BDL on its way to a dead buck. Wrong. Deer barely lifted his head to the sound.

I say WTF, and send another one, same result. Third one, same result, but I must have crept up on the scope, because it wacked me good.

A year later, I find out that my ' FRIENDS ' messed with my scope, and were afraid to tell me later w/the blood running down my face.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:37 PM

I was hunting one morning a few years back, it was in the teens, and I shot a doe, left handed (I shoot right handed with a right hand rifle). Scope got me across the nose. Didnt cut me, but daggum the nosebleed. My eyes watered up, tears and blood all frozen to my face. I was smart enough to know not to try a left handed shot again.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:29 PM

1989- slug gun with my 1st ever scope mounted on it. Crept up on the stock as I was shooting and whamo! Took the eyepiece right between the eyes and on the top of my nose. Looked up as my two friends were glassing my shot at 100yds on a farm field. The one replies" Nice shot, you hit the bullseye, now go getta' rag for your forehead"!
Was so happy to put a slug in a 100 yds that I didn't even realize I whacked myself with the scope. Blood was running down my forehead and nose when I looked in the truck's mirror. Clean it up, put a piece of torn hanky and duct tape on it and finish shooting with the guys!
They didn'tlet me live that one down for a while!
Old 12-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Happens to the best of um. Happened to Jim Shockey on camera. Have never had it happen to me though, yet.

Quick Reply: Idiot Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.