Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Unprepared and don't care!!!!! >

Unprepared and don't care!!!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unprepared and don't care!!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Unprepared and don't care!!!!!

I love deer hunting and I respect the sport and the animals so I prepare myself for it. But the people around me make me so mad sometimes.
I had a freind the other day call me before church to say he wouldn't be there because he saw a trophy of a deer at 400 yards and shot at 390 yards. He had no rangefinder he was guessing (later ranged at 402). He found blood and hair and no deer after an entire day of looking. He had never practiced those shots or even looked up the ballistics on how his bullet would drop and now says he just didn't hold over enough. He says that next year he is using Federal fusions rather then tho ones he used this year. I asked what he used he said "I don't know they are in the green and yellow box." (Core-lokts an incredible bullet in my opinion).

Case twoanother friend told me lastnight he was going hunting this morning and using th Savage 30-06 gun scopehis wife bought him on Monday.I asked had he sighted it in he said it came with a boresighted scope and would be close enough. He also bought the bullets because of how they looked and later asked me how they would do.

If you are going hunting respect the animals enough to prepare yourself. I recently made a bad shot becausemy scope was off after my rifle fell off the shooting sticks. The deer still died within secondsbut Iam still upset that I didn't recheck the sights and assumed it was fine (it wasn't a bad fall but I will know better next time). Since then I have resighted my scope and even went to the range a second time to rebuild my confidence in the gun.

These types of "sportsman" really get on my nerves. Thanks for letting my rant for a while.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unprepared and don't care!!!!!

One word describes those scenerios... PITIFUL.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Ruger,

I totally hear you. It's that way in many things however. Some people live their life in that fashion. Always late or behind schedule. Flying by the seat of their pants......it's something that those of us who study, learn, talk to buddies, talk on hunting forumns, etc. can't understand.

Unfortunately I think there is alot more people who throw a shell in their gun and head to the woods than people who take the timetopractise, sightin and try the best loads for theirguns or people who sighted it in last year and it should be good enough now.

I bought a new shotgun this year and put a scope on it. I knew what it should do...my son has one just like it. I still shotno less than 10-12 boxes of slugs through it so that IKNEW how it would perform at 25, 50, 75, 100 yards. Obcessive, probably but I was confident when I carried it thatif Ihad a good shot at those distances,I could put that slug EXACTLY where I wanted it to go!

Those hunters that round up a gun & ammo and pay no attention to scent control, never scouted a minute, head to the woods and finda place to sit and still kill deer leaves the rest of us scratching our heads.

Alot of the enjoyment of hunting is preparing for it!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM

I hear you, Glad to see others feeling the same way. I have several "friends" that keep telling me they shot a deer , found the arrow with blood on it and never found the deer. One shot a deer, saw it fall, found a pool of blood never found the deer. FIND IT!!!! you shot it, recover it, dont waste it! JMO
Old 12-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

I wholeheartedly agree. My brother and father in law always complain about how they have such "bad luck" hunting, while I have had good success. They say, "I sure wish I hunted on the land you do," as if I'm just dropped into deer. Meanwhile, I'm scent blocking, scouting, reading (this forum included), shooting hundreds of rounds per year both bow and gun, etc. While they shoot about 10 times with the bow, glad to hit a paper plate at 20 yards, trust their gun is still sighted from before because "It ain't like I dropped it or something," never thinking that maybe their shooting form doesn't exist, because they don't shoot often enough to have a form. Their hunting clothes go in the garage for a week to "Freshen up", and so on and so on. I haven't yet told them flat out that they suck at hunting and preparation, but If I hear about how "Lucky" I am one more time, I may have to. I'm not saying I'm this great hunter, but like most of the rest of us here, I put in the work, keep up with the ideas, and practice shooting. I don't care if others don't want to do prep work, as long as their taking ethical shots they can make, but I don't like hearing them complain about "Bad Luck."
Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoosier_Hunter1963

Those hunters that round up a gun & ammo and pay no attention to scent control, never scouted a minute, head to the woods and finda place to sit and still kill deer leaves the rest of us scratching our heads.

hahaha!
that was me going into bow season this year, but that was because of college. I did however take practice shots twice a week for a month before the season.

I really don't see how people just put a shell in there gun on opening day without shooting the gun once since the last season.
I won't hunt if i haven't sighted in my rifle and have been to the range at least three times!
but then again...the land i hunt on has a private range so i just have to walk out there when I have a free day.
some people don't have that option.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

RugerM77.270, They may be your friends but in my opinion they aren't hunters. They are lead slingers. I shoot year round, up until the day or two before I leave on my deer trip. We all owe it to the deer we hunt to putthem down quickly and humanely.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's amazing, but some people are just ignorant of how you need to prepare your equipment for a hunt. Case in point, 2 years ago my dad hit a buck and we were tracking it. We jumped it from its bed and it ran under the stand of one of the guys in our camp. It stopped broadside20 yards away and the guy missed with a scoped rifle. As it turns out the buck ran off after the shot and we never did find it.[:@]

Later on we asked him how he could have missed. We asked where his gun was hitting when he sighted it in. He said, "I don't know it was so long ago I can't remember." So I said, "You mean you don't sight it in before the season?" His response, "What for? All it does is sit under my bed, how is it going to get knocked off?" At that point I knew it was pointless to argue and just let it go.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

While I occasionally hear people mention shooting a deer with a rifle and losing it due to a bad shot I hear 20 to 1 stories about people shooting deer with a bow and losing them.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger, I have have heard people talk about how they are buying a compound bow that very day, and hunting with it in the afternoon! They didn't even shoot the bow...TERRIBLE.

Quick Reply: Unprepared and don't care!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.