Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pistol Kill

Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pistol Kill

Just to let everyone know BigJ71 is legit in taking this deer. I was wrong and apologize as I called to make sure. What I was told was that it is called the firearms season. This is where you can use either shotgun, muzzleloader or pistol. They changed this to encompass all types of guns except rifles in Illinois. I did not know this, but now I do. I think my wife may get mad at me now that I can go and buy a hunting pistol.

Paul
Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Newhunter1 at work

Just to let everyone know BigJ71 is legit in taking this deer. I was wrong and apologize as I called to make sure. What I was told was that it is called the firearms season. This is where you can use either shotgun, muzzleloader or pistol. They changed this to encompass all types of guns except rifles in Illinois. I did not know this, but now I do. I think my wife may get mad at me now that I can go and buy a hunting pistol.

Paul
No sweat Paul...at least you read up on it and posted back,I appreciate it.

Yep they (Illinois DNR) changed the rules to allow pistols, muzzle loaders and slug guns during the 1st and2nd firearm seasons. I'm glad because I was tired of freezing my butt off pistol hunting in the dead of winter for does only. I stilldid it because I love to pistol hunt.

The first season I use my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe but if I don't kill anything, and I don't taketwo bucks with my bow before the second season, I'll bring out a pistol and try to kill a nice buck with it...I was able to connect this year.

Thanks to all who posted, if it's legal to do so in your state I HIGHLY recommend taking a pistol into the woods, it's a huge challenge and a blast to do. I've hunted with all of the pistols below.

Top to bottom:
Ruger Super Black Hawk W/Leupold 2x scope .44mag
Ruger Vaquero fixed open sights .44mag (this is the one I used this year)
Magnum Research BFR open adjustable sights .454 Casull
Ruger Black Hawk open adjustable sights 45Colt

Old 12-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Good dea with the revised regsl!! I was actually looking into pistol hunting myself. I was looking at the Ruger Super Redhawk 454. Any thoughts or recomendations on a good pistol?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Tody_PSE

Good dea with the revised regsl!! I was actually looking into pistol hunting myself. I was looking at the Ruger Super Redhawk 454. Any thoughts or recomendations on a good pistol?
Depends on how much you want to spend.

If you just want a good reliable strong built pistol that is accurate right out of the box and won't break the bank.. Ruger is the way to go. With the exception of the "New Vaquero" all of the large frame revolvers are pretty much bullet proof. Ruger revolvers willdigest the hottest +P+ ammo you put through them.

If you want to spend more money, then the new S&W 500 or the Freedom Arms revolvers or the Magnum Research BFR Revolversare an option. BFR stands for "Biggest Finest Revolvers" but if you take one look at them you know it really means Biggest F****** Revolvers!

The one I have (454 Casull) is their SMALL frame revolver! You can get a BFR in .444, 45-70, and many other BIG chambering. They will run you at least $1,000.00 though. I had mine custom done (trigger job, action smoothed, barrel cut to 5.5in, custom crowned, custom gripsetc..) and that alone will run you another $1,000.00

There are others you can consider, Taurus makes a 454 Casull (Raging Bull)as well but for the money and strength, Rugeris the way to go.

I love my Rugers, they simply won't fail you, they are some very strong built revolvers and are the foundation for may of the big custom revolvers being made today.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

John,
What loads do you shoot out of those 44's?
I've shothandloads of both the240 XTP and the 270 gold dot soft point. Both work pretty well, the GD goes in and out with not much expansion, the 240 expands nicely and still penetrates pretty well.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

John, congrats on a great Buck. That was a great story as well! Once again, CONGRATS!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. Congrats.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

John,
What loads do you shoot out of those 44's?
I've shothandloads of both the240 XTP and the 270 gold dot soft point. Both work pretty well, the GD goes in and out with not much expansion, the 240 expands nicely and still penetrates pretty well.
Rybo,

Depends on the pistol....but rest assured I'm bringing the hammer down when it comes to power!!

The Vaquero has fixed sights andshoots the best (point of aimat 25yds)with Corbon 260gr jacketed soft points...leathal!! I'm getting 1450fps and 1215ft/lbs out of it.

On the adjustable sighted pistols I can use different rounds and adjust my sights for the vertical impact. For them I like the big 280gr jacketed soft points at 1425fps with 1260ft/lbs or the 320gr hard cast flat points for very big game.

For the 454 Casull I like the 335gr hard cast flat points at 1600fps with 1905ft/lbs or the 360gr penetrator at 1500fps and 2050ft/lbs

The 45 Colt I will shoot the 300gr 1300fps Corbons out of the Ruger but the ColtSAAand Colt SAA clones get the 250gr hard cast at 1000fps to keep them within SAAMI specs so they are safe to shoot.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats pretty impressive good for you I cant imagine what that feels like. I took my dads 357 a couple times and i havent had the opportunity i cant imagine what that feels like.

Ryan
Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a heck of a challenge taking him out with a pistol! Hats off to ya and congrats!

Quick Reply: Pistol Kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.