Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pistol Kill

Old 12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pistol Kill

BIGJ...WOW what a buck congrats to you Sir.. and with a pistol..You the man..
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Site Bouncer

Thanks all,

It was a rush for sure, this was the most primitive weapon I've used, as far as sights go.The Vaquero (as I'm sure most of you know) is like an old west 6-gun and only has a simple"V" groove in the rear and a blade post at the front. I experimented with different hunting loads to find one that would hit where I was aiming at 25yds. Once I found it I could adjust (Kentucky windage) for closer of further shots.

I could have made the first shot he gave me (35yds) if I had something to rest the pistol on.I'm right handed and he came in from my right side soI tried to get into a position to where I could support my left arm by resting my elbow on my leg but I just couldn't pull it off without moving too much. If he had come in from my left it would have been easier to get the shot off.

Ever see a 325lb mansquirm around in a small single seat ladder stand...that was me!I had taken off the rest because I use the stand primarily for bow hunting and the rest gets in the way.

It was a little too far of a shot off hand for me. I'm sure there are others who could pull it off but I'm not comfortable with it, so that's when I decided to just wait him out. When he got right in front of me I had a good shot at him. Like I said I almost blew the whole thing cocking the pistol. It's amazing just how loud those "clicks" are when your trying to be quiet.

I got lucky when he frozefor that split second so I could get the shot off. He could havejust as easily bolted, and this post would have been quite different.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

John, congrats on your second nice buck this year, and with a pistol that is awesome. Those are some pretty sick pistols you've got there, but then again you're a big guy so you probably laugh at their kick. I shoot my old man's .44 mag super red hawk and with the old style grip that thing is punishing for me. I would love to try to hunt deer with it, but I just haven't done it yet.

Good job and great story.