Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Call or Keep Quiet

Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Call or Keep Quiet

Season ends Jan 1., need to bag a doe. Do I use any calls or just shut up and go with it?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Call or Keep Quiet

i call, with a rattle bag and grunt tube
Old 12-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just leave them be. Chances are, with it being so late in the season, that the deer have heard every call known to man, and may associate danger to a foreign call. Unless of course, you are Peter Fiduccia with a call, I say keep quiet.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:39 AM

This year is the first time I've really tried and used calls, rattling, grunts, etc. It will also most likely be the last.

Maybe it's the increased vegetation, the weather, or something else, but I've seen less deer this year than ever before and associate at least a certain degree of that to all the scents, calls, and other things I did early in the season. My deer are much more nocturnal this year than ever before.

That said, I just gave them a two week break and am about to head out to the stand. I went out scouting yesterday morning (planned hunt really, but got a call that I was needed in the office) and saw two pretty nice bucks, but not what I was looking for. It's been a few years since I've gone this late into the season without bagging a mature buck.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think it will hurt to continue to call. Just be sure not to overdo it.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year their focus is usually on eating. It's cold and they're probably pregnant and the instinct is to be well fed. Unless you can make a noise like a cob of corn, I don't think calling is going to improve your chances much.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

quiet
Old 12-22-2007, 09:57 AM

[8D]
Old 12-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep quiet. If does are walking out of your range, maybe hit a low fawn bleat or two until you get their attention. At that time, go back to being quiet.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never use calls when targeting does.....focus on some good eats, for the deer, this time of year and the does will be there!

Quick Reply: Call or Keep Quiet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.