Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Control

Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Scent Control

Anybody got a regular scent control routine that you use before you hit the deer woods? Soaps? Shampoos? Cover scents? Scentlok? Etc....
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: Scent Control

Do it all if you can - scent free shampoo and soap morning of, scent free clothes, Scentlok / charcoal suit, rubber boots, use scent eliminator spray before and during hunt, etc., etc., However, the best Scent eliminator is to keep your scent from blowing toward the deer. They will still bust you if they are right on top of you with the wind blowing in the wrong direction...at least some of the time.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 PM

scent-a-way body wash/shampoo ($3), scent free detergent ($6), and i spray scent eliminator on myself and my boots right before i start down the trail. just my opinion, but i think scent lok is b.s. the indians did it without scent lok, so why can't we??
Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 PM

I went through bow season without doing a single thing scent wise and i saw at least 20 deer within 30 yards and some walked right under my stand without busting me.
but as soon as gun season comes around i noticed they will bust me every time.
So I take a bath in the scent free soap wash my clothes in sportwash then use scent eliminator when I get in the field.
I wear leather and rubber boots and never noticed any bad effects from ether.
scent never seems to bother the deer where i am and I've been busted from moving more than them smelling me.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 PM

yea man, its way too easy to get caught up in the whole scent cover deal. do the essentials, but don't be a freak about it.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walker12

scent-a-way body wash/shampoo ($3), scent free detergent ($6), and i spray scent eliminator on myself and my boots right before i start down the trail. just my opinion, but i think scent lok is b.s. the indians did it without scent lok, so why can't we??
x2
Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I check the weather to see which way the wind is blowing.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: walker12

x2
X3, I don't go hog wild with it because the best you can really achieve is to reduce your scent signature enough to fool them into thinking that you're further away than you really are and therefore less of a threat. There is absolutely no such thing as "scent free", and you'll never actually fool a whitetail's nose.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

X3, I don't go hog wild with it because the best you can really achieve is to reduce your scent signature enough to fool them into thinking that you're further away than you really are and therefore less of a threat. There is absolutely no such thing as "scent free", and you'll never actually fool a whitetail's nose.
What he said.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

I disagree...

Be neurotic about it... Everything you do can help. Wash your clothes in scent free soap and dry them, put them in an airtight container. If you can afford it buy a zinc fabric underlayer to wear against your skin (anti-microbial) and a carbon activated outer layer. Make sure you use anti-scent wash on your towels you will use to dry off.

Shower EVERY time before you go out and hunt with an appropriate anti-scent soap. After dressing use a no scent spray and my favorite coon urine for you boots as a great cover scent. make sure you spray all your equipment down with no scent spray too (backpacks, etc.)

Hey, you never hear someone say "I did too good of a job being scent free", but you will hear a lot of people say that they spooked or got nailed by dear, especially bow-hunters. I know I have been in a stand and been snort/wheezed at or busted and I thought for sure there was no way they are going to nail me. Since I have become so worried about this and taken an active role in reducing scent, I have had significantly more success deer hunting.

By the way, next year I am going vegeterian a month before the season starts!

Quick Reply: Scent Control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.