Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck shot illegal???

Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: buck shot illegal???

The rifled slugs in rifled barrel will work, but the lead probaly fill in your rifling a little making it less accurate.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A "rifled slug" is a misnomer. You cannot "rifle" a slug - its a TRADEMARK. Barrels are rifled, not slugs.

If you shoot a "rifled slug" through a rifled shotgun barrel - it will fill the lands with lead, and not always impart a correct rifled spin to the projectile.

"rifled slugs" are foster slugs with "flutes" on their sides. They still "float" to the target in smotthbore barrels (as intended). Don't misunderstand me - in a smoothbore, a "rifled slug" will kill deer well - out to 75 yds most times in my experience. - its after that that they are suspect in accuracy.

Nothing new here - some of you guys need to learn you terminology is all.

FH
Old 12-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Cuz its a very unethical load and results in alot of deer suffering because people take to many shots with it when deer aren't close enough for it to kill them. I would think you would not want to use this considering you don't like to see animals suffer. IMO buckshot shouldnt be allowed for deer anywhere. Slugs work way better for deer, close or far. Buckshot is for yotes and hog control IMO. WCL
perfect example of an uneducated response. why don't we go ahead and say bowhunters are unethical???? more deer are lost from bowhunters than buckshot. buckshot just has limitations just like EVERY OTHER weapon used.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: leben_sie_gut

I can't say that I've ever taken a shot at a deer with buckshot...but I don't think I'd have any problems using it as a deep brush load....somewhere 50 yards would be a long shot.
Buck shot is not a brush bustin load at all. Those light pellets are stopped very easily by brush and won't make it anywhere near your deer. A slug on the otehr hand will bust through alot. Thats why when guys shoot rifle loads and know they may be takin shots in brushy areas they go with a much heavier gr bullet than normal. Its physics, heavier bullet is gonna go through more. WCL

Ah, perhaps the way I stated my comment made it sound different from what I was meaning to say...By brush gun, I mean a gun that is used in close confines, such as in heavy brush, but NOT to shoot through brush with....clear line to target only.

Also, there's no such thing as a "brush bustin" bullet or round...it doesn't take much to throw a projectile off course, and it doesn't matter what caliber is involved. Never shoot through brush into a vital zone you can't clearly see.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM

next year im usinf hornady sst shotgun slugs there like 12 bucks for 5!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say that I've ever taken a shot at a deer with buckshot...but I don't think I'd have any problems using it as a deep brush load....somewhere 50 yards would be a long shot.
Buck shot is not a brush bustin load at all. Those light pellets are stopped very easily by brush and won't make it anywhere near your deer. A slug on the otehr hand will bust through alot. Thats why when guys shoot rifle loads and know they may be takin shots in brushy areas they go with a much heavier gr bullet than normal. Its physics, heavier bullet is gonna go through more. WCL

Ah, perhaps the way I stated my comment made it sound different from what I was meaning to say...By brush gun, I mean a gun that is used in close confines, such as in heavy brush, but NOT to shoot through brush with....clear line to target only.

Also, there's no such thing as a "brush bustin" bullet or round...it doesn't take much to throw a projectile off course, and it doesn't matter what caliber is involved. Never shoot through brush into a vital zone you can't clearly see.
Unfortunately there are a lot of uneducated hunters who think that they can shoot through brush. This is not only ineffective on deer but it's dangerous for the rest of us. I hate the term brush gun or brush load.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

perfect example of an uneducated response. why don't we go ahead and say bowhunters are unethical???? more deer are lost from bowhunters than buckshot. buckshot just has limitations just like EVERY OTHER weapon used.
I was saying thats why it is illegal in many states. I was basically saying rifles and slugs are a more ethical option and there isnt a real great reason for using it instead of the others loads unless you know its limits and are responsible with it, which many are.... You have any data to back the statement about buckshot and bow wounded deer? Id say yeah more are wounded by bow hunters but that just cuz there simply is more bowhunters than buck shot hunters out there with many states banning its use. Also how many deer are hit with buck shot and no blood is found cuz of meat shot with a pellet or twoand those deer are never thought to be wounded and hunter thinks they missed..... I'm not sayingthat bow huntersareunethical because I know some of them are and many buck shot hunters are ethical in shooting it too.All hunting categories have their unethical portion due topoor judgmenthunters of all types. If I were to argue the bowhunting thing like the buck shot thingwould bethat I think expandables that are not the new slip cam style are unethical for bowhuntersjust like buck shot is for guns.WCL
Old 12-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

buckshot is used alot here in the south. i have shot several deer with buckshot over the years and everyone i shot has dropped in it's tracks. each hunter is responsible for knowing the limitations of the weapon they're using. it's not the "tool" that would be unethical, it would be the hunter. however you came on here bashing buckshot in general and stating it shouldbe outlawed everywhere, when in fact the problem lies with the few people who attempt to use it at distances it was not intended for. buckshot is an awsome round and if you do your job and not shoot further than your shotgun will pattern, you won't have to track a wounded deer.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

I was saying thats why it is illegal in many states. I was basically saying rifles and slugs are a more ethical option and there isnt a real great reason for using it instead of the others loads unless you know its limits and are responsible with it, which many are.... You have any data to back the statement about buckshot and bow wounded deer? Id say yeah more are wounded by bow hunters but that just cuz there simply is more bowhunters than buck shot hunters out there with many states banning its use. Also how many deer are hit with buck shot and no blood is found cuz of meat shot with a pellet or twoand those deer are never thought to be wounded and hunter thinks they missed..... I'm not sayingthat bow huntersareunethical because I know some of them are and many buck shot hunters are ethical in shooting it too.All hunting categories have their unethical portion due topoor judgmenthunters of all types. If I were to argue the bowhunting thing like the buck shot thingwould bethat I think expandables that are not the new slip cam style are unethical for bowhuntersjust like buck shot is for guns.WCL
not bad mouthing bowhunters because i also like to bowhunt and everyone will sooneror later make a bad shot but here is just 1 example

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2482609#

there are numerous trail cam pic's like these floating around. the difference is i'm not trash talking about other legal means of hunting. there is no room for fighting within our ranks, we need to stick together to preserve hunting for our children. not give the anti's more ammunition against us by bashing a certain way or type of hunting.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

All we are aloud to use is buckshot. We have very flat land and buckshot does not travel near as far. I have a Buck kicker choke tube in and shooting 3 1/2 OO I can pattern very nice at 50 yards and have taken many deer at that distance. If the deer is standing still I have taken deer up to 65 yards. I would not try a deer over 40 if it was running but if I could get it to stop I am very confident at 65 yards.

Quick Reply: buck shot illegal???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.