Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck shot illegal???

Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Default RE: buck shot illegal???

have any of you guys used hornady sst shotgun slugs? i heard they can shoot to 100 yards flat trajuectory
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't compare wingshooting a duck to shooting a deer. A duck has a live weight of about 5 pounds and a small deer maybe 100 pounds. That's 20 times the size yet we're using the same gun. Number 4 birdshot is approximately .13 diameter and OO buck is .32, that's only 2 1/2 times the dia.. Even if 00 buck performed on a deer equally to #4 birdshot on a duck there's still only 12 pellets in a magnum load versus approximately 300 pellets in birdshot. If the comparitive lethality were equal would anyone in there right mind duck hunt with a load that contained only 12 pellets?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Lightfields through a Rifled 12ga Ithaca Barrel. 5" groups at 100 yds are cake. I've tried a few other loads and had good results too - the old BRI slugs would group wonderful, and I took my share of deer with them as well - but they popped right through deer (too hard) and did not expand or expend any energy inside the deer.

I would never go back to smoothbore and open sights unless I had to. - I loved my old Ithaca 37, but every now and again I'd have a really ODD hit - and couldn't chalk it up to anything but poor grouping. Still with fosters I could consistently take deer out to 75 yards MOST of the time.

FH

Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 PM

i would actually rather have open sights on my slug barrel. i dont like scopes for close range but i had to get on e because the barrel had to hae one and it had no open sights on it. has anyone use brenke KO slugs? they are as cheap as remington sluggers and i wondered if they were any good?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

i would actually rather have open sights on my slug barrel. i dont like scopes for close range but i had to get on e because the barrel had to hae one and it had no open sights on it. has anyone use brenke KO slugs? they are as cheap as remington sluggers and i wondered if they were any good?
Those were the ones I ment before. They are cheaper than remington some places. They do very well for us but we don't shoot rifled barrels. They hit hard and don't mushroom a ton but you don't need much mushrooming with a slug as they are already huge. They hold their shape well and have great drive goin through deer. WCL
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 PM

all right let me get something straight----------a rifled barrel is a slug barrel??????? what type of slugs are best with a slug barrel? so WCL you use the same barrel for deer as you do for everything else?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

It can be confusing. There is rifled slug barrels and smooth bore slug barrels. A rifled slug barrel is just like a regular rifle. You use sabots in rifled barrel. Smooth barrels use rifled slugs, or Foster style slugs.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 PM

can you use rifled slugs or foster style slugs in a rifled slug barrels? remington sluggers are rifled i think and i use them in my rifled slug barrel. so WCL you dont use ur shotgun field barrel? you use your smooth bore slug barrel?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bravo hit it. Yeah I have a rifle for sitting so the only time I use my shotgun is when I'm a driver on drives. The drivers use shotguns and the standers use rifles. I don't see buyin a rifled barrel cuz it doenst gain me anythign for how little I would use the rifled barrel so i use my smooth bird barrel with the most open choke I got plus its better for swinging and shooting when your makin drives and the deer are movingIMO cuz their is no sight to line up or scope to deal with. Just point and shoot likeI'mwing shooting......... So I guess if you want everyone to sum it up best for ya,tell us exactly what you have for a shotgun, barrel,and situations you are going to be using it in. WCL
Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are good using the rem rifled in your rifled barrel but most use sabbots when they have a rifled barrel these days cuz they are that much more acurate than regular rifled slugs. WCL

Quick Reply: buck shot illegal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.