HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   coyotes killing deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/222908-coyotes-killing-deer.html)

2robinhood 12-16-2007 04:33 PM

coyotes killing deer

This was a rumor going around, But I just had it confirmed from a reliable source.
Here in southern New Jersey we have alot of coyotes now. These coyotes are on the large size, maybe 50lb range. There was a film that was floating around on line, I can't find it now, of a coyote mother feeding here pups with fawns and yearlings. Over 2 1/2 months she pulled a dozen deer back to the den for her pups. There was a coyote killed with in five miles of my home. It had a tag inits ear. The tag had a number, a phone number, and the word Texas.Whwn this phone number was called they had said that the coyote was purchased by a insurance company. Supposely the insurance companies are purchasing coyotes and releasing them in souther Jersey. The Coyotes are killing deer and this is lowering the number of deer and auto collision, which mean lower accident claims for the insurance company. I can't figure out haow the New Jersey division of fish and game can allow this to happen. If one mother was able to kill a dozen deer in about three months, the way coyotes multiple the deer aren't gonna have a chance.
Has anyone heard of this in Jersey, or in any other state?

moose1915 12-16-2007 05:06 PM

RE: coyotes killing deer

yes. they also have tagged and released cougars, to controll the coyotes. Then they had to release sasquatches to controll the cougars.

with all the deer gone the turkeys are out of controll, so the dnr dropped tagged rattlesnakes out of thier black helicopters to controll them.;)

NiceAndBlue 12-16-2007 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

This was a rumor going around
that is your answer.

The Rifleman 12-16-2007 05:15 PM

Here is the answer you are looking for.

No matter what hunting camp you go to, you will always find someone that knows someone that said that someone seen this or that.

The truth is - if you knew where the coyote den was at - why didn't you set up there and kill the mother and kill the father and kill the pups and then you wouldn't have all of these problems.

This same story has been all through Pennsylvania and Ohio and the other states. Is it true? Probably, did your friend see it in your backyard - probably not. Coyotes are a very private animal and do not like human intervention.

They will visit your area very late at night and probably doesn't go out of the den very much during the day time.

BUCKEYEhunter140 12-16-2007 07:40 PM

idk what to tell ya i no for a fact i set a trail cam up on a coyote den just to see how many deer it would get in 3 months of when the littles one are growing up. and it got 19 fawns n some other asst. of animals! NOW b-4 u go jumpin 2 conclutions about Y i ddin't kill this coyote b-4 it killed them deer is because i wanted 2 find out what it was capable of!!1 i can't stop every coyote out there so i made a little experiment out of it n yes they did die!! i shot the mother put on a KIYI n out came dad. then a water hose 2 the hole sent the pups out n they also fell victim ther were 5 pups mother n father n nothin but bones on 1 side of the den pretty crazy!!!

moose1915 12-16-2007 09:07 PM

:eek:

trekker1 12-16-2007 10:50 PM

Yotes are'nt gonna reduce a healthy herd.In a situation where the deer excede the carry capacity, resulting in sick, and malnourished deer, then they will get some kills. They'll get some in deep snow areas as well.

SteveBNy 12-17-2007 04:33 AM

ORIGINAL: NiceAndBlue

ORIGINAL: 2robinhood

This was a rumor going around
that is your answer.
Rumor is the word! NO ONE ever offers any proof of the conspiracy stockings other then "I heard from ........ ". Like any doing it secretively would put a tag with contact info on the animal:D.

Buckeye -"text talk" is very hard to read for the many who do not do it. And many will simply skip over it. Just my opinion.

Steve

neck4752 12-17-2007 04:48 AM

Buckeye,

Can you post some of those photos? Just to see the coyote dragging the deer. Makes me think I need to shoot more coyotes to help the deer.

Thanks
Jim

timbercruiser 12-17-2007 07:12 AM

Looks like Buckeye is practicing his text message abbreviations for the new phone Santa is going to bring him.

Carpmaster 12-17-2007 07:17 AM

If there is a yote problem, you need to start trapping and encourage others to do the same!!!

eelriver 12-17-2007 07:18 AM

Same story being told in Southern Illinois? Funny how these stories take on a life of their own..........

Happy Pappy 12-17-2007 07:24 AM

Coyotes will reduce a healthy herd... there was a hunting video out a while back where a decent 8 point was taken down by 4 - 5 adult coyotes. The videographer saw one coyote, the hunter pointed to one behind him, then all hell broke loose. From what I remember they chased it into some deep grass and ganged up on it. If I havea chance at a decent buck or a coyote, that's an easy choice! Every hunter should do the same...

bigtim6656 12-17-2007 07:53 AM

just get alot of ammo and head out for some fun

Champlain Islander 12-17-2007 08:18 AM

All part of the balance of nature. There aren't many coyotes when there isn't food. They are just as important as hunters to keep the herds from exceeding carrying capacity. They target the sick and injured deer and other animals and occasionally they will take a healthy deer. I am not too worried about them.

isatarak 12-17-2007 08:33 AM

Around here coyotes eat mostly rabbits and smaller rodents and sometimes feed on cattle that have died. They will eat road killed deer most of the time, but I have seen deer lay on the side of the road for days and not be touched by coyotes. If coyotes are killing deer something is out of whack.

pm69442 12-17-2007 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: BUCKEYEhunter140

idk what to tell ya i no for a fact i set a trail cam up on a coyote den just to see how many deer it would get in 3 months of when the littles one are growing up. and it got 19 fawns n some other asst. of animals! NOW b-4 u go jumpin 2 conclutions about Y i ddin't kill this coyote b-4 it killed them deer is because i wanted 2 find out what it was capable of!!1 i can't stop every coyote out there so i made a little experiment out of it n yes they did die!! i shot the mother put on a KIYI n out came dad. then a water hose 2 the hole sent the pups out n they also fell victim ther were 5 pups mother n father n nothin but bones on 1 side of the den pretty crazy!!!

What did he say!:eek:

bigtim6656 12-17-2007 10:25 AM

when i am hunting if i see a coyote it's dead

BarnesX.308 12-17-2007 11:01 AM

then a water hose 2 the hole sent the pups out n they also fell victim
How long is your hose?

bigtim6656 12-17-2007 11:46 AM

why would you ask how long i hose is everyman lies about it wellbut me of corse

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

then a water hose 2 the hole sent the pups out n they also fell victim
How long is your hose?

bigwhitetailbuck 12-17-2007 01:11 PM

i have a question... what does a coyote den look like and where can you find them?

bigtim6656 12-17-2007 03:50 PM

you know like the bar off of the coyote ugle movie

ORIGINAL: bigwhitetailbuck

i have a question... what does a coyote den look like and where can you find them?

2robinhood 12-17-2007 04:38 PM

What this video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htA8bydL4v0

2robinhood 12-17-2007 04:44 PM

I alsoread an effective way of killing coyotes is to take a spounge, soak it in deer blood, hang in in a tree with fishing line. I read to make it high enough that the coyote needs to jump to get it. The fisshing line braeks and the coyote takes the spounge and eats it. They are unable to pass the spounge and end up a dead coyote. May not be a good way, but may be an effective way.

yakuza wiz 12-17-2007 05:32 PM

wait a minute...forget the deer herd.
what about farmers?
I know that all of the cattle farmers around me have had at least two or three calves that have been taken by coyotes over the last few years.

nchawkeye 12-17-2007 05:39 PM

Guys...there were coyotes here before Europeans ever got here...
They will be here when we are gone, so will the deer...

bigtim6656 12-17-2007 05:47 PM

good point but they say tha about hunting period but before the euros came here there was 90% of theUS was woods not houses

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Guys...there were coyotes here before Europeans ever got here...
They will be here when we are gone, so will the deer...

SteveBNy 12-17-2007 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Looks like Buckeye is practicing his text message abbreviations for the new phone Santa is going to bring him.
:D

djschuett 12-17-2007 07:32 PM

Not so sure if the sponge deal really works from a biological perspective. The yote would instinctively chew the sponge into somewhat smaller pieces. Cellulose (the material most sponges are made of) will be partially digested, but the rest would probably pass through.

Maybe putting a sponge soaked in deer blood with some razor blades in it would work if you could get the yote to swallow the blades as well and induce some Gastrointestinal bleeding!

Personally, I'd rather shoot 'em that way I know they're down.

nchawkeye 12-17-2007 07:41 PM

Actually their were many open meadows in the US, as well as the Great Plains before the Europeans got here...Native Americans actually set fires to open woods land and create some of these...

farm hunter 12-17-2007 07:47 PM

this "rumor" comes up here every year. Usually the story has a Trail Cam on a Coyote den - and andyhere from six to dozens of fawns are brought to the pups to feed on - so the story goes. Sometimes the State Wildlife agency is involved in the story, other times its a "freind of a freind" etc.

Don't believe these storys -

Its kind of a crazy urban legend that just wont go away!

Blood on a sponge? Really! - now come on! - THATS a new one. Might work on Lazy Vampires too!

FH

MarquetteMagnum 12-17-2007 08:46 PM

Wow!!! I was dragged behind a truck last night for showing a video of a deer with its antlers caught in a rope and swinging around. Then this talk of killing coyotes come up!!!! WHERE ARE ALL YOU HATERS NOW!!!!!

furgitter 12-18-2007 06:25 AM

Sponges? Dont do it! If it does work, you will kill every fox, coon,..........And vampire in the area. Poision isnt the way to go unless youre after bugs. Get some traps and learn how to use them.

mlo31351270 12-18-2007 07:11 AM

All part of the balance of nature. There aren't many coyotes when there isn't food. They are just as important as hunters to keep the herds from exceeding carrying capacity. They target the sick and injured deer and other animals and occasionally they will take a healthy deer. I am not too worried about them.
I agree 100%.

BUCKEYEhunter140, Lets see some of those pictures, in fact, lets see all of them so we can count the fawns. Coyotes usually do not have their den near houses, you must have had a long hose to reach that coyote den.

BigTiny 12-18-2007 02:50 PM

After yesterday, there's one less coyote to worry about in my woods. I'm sure they will take down unattended fawns if the opportunity presents itself, they are predators. They seem to be more interested in turkeys here. There's always more coyotes where turkey populations are high.

muleyhunter91 12-18-2007 08:51 PM

There was a mother coyote killing whitetail fawnsin my area I actually caught her doing it once and also saw a doe chase her off. Deer are quite a bit bigger than coyotes, but anyways I caught hare and her pups out by a group of deerand the coyotes were grouped up needless to say all the coyotes ate lead nstead of venison that day. Dunno about the insurance thing though.

Lanse couche couche 12-19-2007 09:22 AM

Kind of funny that people are always complaining about coyotes, but many of those same people will throw a fit if coyote hunterstheir dogs across their land or anywhere near where they are hunting.:eek:

Beware_of_Dawg 12-19-2007 02:23 PM

The Truth About the Coyote-Deer Risk Management Rumor
You may have heard a story that usually starts out as something a friend heard from a friend about an insurance company trying to control the deer population by releasing coyote. This is very much an urban legend, and it is not unusual for the myth to re-appear when we issue our annual news release warning drivers to be vigilant about deer collisions. There is absolutely no truth to the rumor. Please refer to the following article from the Insurance Journal that has helped quash the rumor. A link that sheds some light on the Eastern Coyote is also included.

Insurance Journal article: PA Wildlife Officials Quash Coyote-Deer Risk Management Rumor

Did you hear the one about the insurance agent and the coyote?
So have the Pennsylvania Game Commission, wildlife agencies in other states and insurers.
They all dismiss as urban legend claims that insurance companies and wildlife agencies release coyotes in hopes of reducing deer-car collision claims.
"There's a lot of people that seriously believe that the agency has been doing this,'' said Carl Graybill, director of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's bureau of information and education. "The whole thing's pretty absurd.''
While the agency doesn't track such claims, Graybill said wildlife conversation officers are occasionally questioned in the field about it.
It's illegal for anyone to release animals into the wild without a permit and the agency hasn't issued any permits to insurance companies, Graybill said. Variations substitute other predators for coyotes.
Like other rumors, this one seems to begin with someone who knows someone who knows someone who killed a coyote that has a tattoo, ear tag or collar from an insurance company, Graybill said.
Graybill said the commission has asked that such coyotes be brought in.
"No one ever comes forward with any proof that it occurred,'' Graybill said "People can be very gullible, too.''
Over the last several weeks, Erie Insurance Group has had calls about the issue.
"It's just a fallacy. It's just not true. That's just not a way that we would manage our risks,'' said spokesman Mark Dombrowski. Instead, Erie Insurance advises policyholders how to avoid deer by being alert in deer areas and using high beams when possible.
The rumor has been around for at least a half-dozen years and is in other states. The rumor came up at a conservation education summit recently in West Virginia, Graybill said.
"Many times, I've been pointedly asked that question by a number of individuals,'' said Ray Knotts, district wildlife biologist for West Virginia's Division of Natural Resource's Wildlife Resources section.
"We have never released coyotes and have no intentions of doing so,'' said Knotts, adding it's illegal to release coyotes into the wild in that state. "It's preposterous to the point of being funny, almost.''
To be sure, deer-car collisions are costly for insurers.
About 150 people are killed in deer collisions annually and collisions cause more than $1.1 billion in vehicle damage, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Last year, Erie Insurance paid out nearly $60 million for 29,000 claims filed by customers or about $2,040 per claim. Erie Insurance insures 2.4 million vehicles and deer claims account for nearly 40 percent of its comprehensive losses.
A companion rumor is that insurance companies somehow try to influence deer management practices to reduce the number deer, but Graybill and Knotts deny that, too.
Knotts said he thinks that unsuccessful hunters are simply looking for an excuse as to why they haven't bagged a deer.
"The coyote right now is just a good scapegoat,'' Knotts said.

Beware_of_Dawg 12-19-2007 02:24 PM

TAG RUMOR STARTED HERE........

Game Commission stocking stories began in the late '80s after a coyote pup ear-tagged by a wildlife conservation officer was shot by a deer hunter. The pup, which was fitted with a telemetry collar and bobcat ear tag (#0026), was trapped on a Greene County farm where coyotes were killing sheep. It was hoped the pup would lead the officer to its den. Within days, however, the young coyote couldn't be located with radio gear; it apparently had shaken its telemetry collar. The coyote, minus its collar, was shot a few months later. Stories began to spread that it bore a ear tag from a western state, and that at least 25 other coyotes had been released, given the tag's number. The rumors continue.

DannyD 12-19-2007 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: djschuett

Not so sure if the sponge deal really works from a biological perspective. The yote would instinctively chew the sponge into somewhat smaller pieces. Cellulose (the material most sponges are made of) will be partially digested, but the rest would probably pass through.

Maybe putting a sponge soaked in deer blood with some razor blades in it would work if you could get the yote to swallow the blades as well and induce some Gastrointestinal bleeding!

Personally, I'd rather shoot 'em that way I know they're down.

Or if you used heavy fishing line with a good shark hook in the sponge the coyote would just hang there.

OK that was just uncalled for. sorry, carry on