Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unethical Shooting?

Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Unethical Shooting?

Watching Realtree Roadtrips with David Blantan (sp), a buck busts a field running as fast as a deer can run. He sends lead his way missing completely then offers up that he's a terrible shot at anything moving a mach speed.

My question is this, Is this not an unethical shot? He volunteered he can't make the shot but shoots anyway. If he's missing that far, think about the wounding possibilities. Usually David is straight up.

Most people have absolutely NO business shooting at running deer! (Notice I said most.) [:'(]
Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Unethical Shooting?

I'm not so concerned with wounding an animal as I am what's beyond the intended target. No way a guy can be sure of that slinging led and a flying deer and for what! A persons life for a deer.I'd say it borders on ciminal, way past ethical. People obviously don't take it seriously enough or that show would have been canceled.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unethical...to try a shot that you KNOW you suck at is unacceptable.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've killed a lot of deer running with a shotgun and buckshot and I've killed a couple running with a rifle. It may be unethical to shoot at running deer with a rifle, but how do you know if you can or can't hit one unless you take a shot??
Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

How does one get good at shooting running deer?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are ranges with moving targets.

I say its unethical because its not a shot hes comfortable with. Comparable to boresighting a rifle thinking its sighted in and then taking it hunting.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I certainly agree that making shots that you are not good at at least border on the unethical side! So is not practicing at all, not sighting your gun in before every season, making longer shots than you know you can make, and my personal pet peeve, " it was a trophy-of-a-lifetime, i knew I didn't have a clear shot, but I tried anyway!"
"No shot" is a "NO SHOT" opening day, last day, doe, spike or trophy PERIOD!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM

I have a few real tree videos and he does the same thing on one of those. They are doing a drive and he unloads on a deer that runs out in a field, never hits it once. I like the real tree videos, but that kind of stuff really burns me up when I see it.

That is a guy that needs to invest in a good single shot rifle.

Paul
Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

but how do you know if you can or can't hit one unless you take a shot??
timber, if you don't know, wouldn't that alone make it unetchical?

Take me for instance, I don't know if I could hit a deer at 100 yards with my bow, would it be ethical for me to try? I don't think it would. Even one more step up, actually I know I could but not every time, again, I have no business trying it then right?

Now, there are some excellent marksman out there that shooting a rifle at a running deer is second nature to them. In converse, some have no business shooting longer than they do as well. But that's another debate.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.examiner.com/a-1069173~DNR__3_hunters_killed__3_others_wounded_du ring_gun_deer_hunt.html

Take it as you want. Last I heard there was 11 in Ohio.

Quick Reply: Unethical Shooting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.