Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Clothes

Old 12-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Clothes

Do you feel the need to buy new hunting clothes on a regular basis? Do you have to have the newest camo patterns?

If anyone remembers the line from Lonesome Dove, I subscribe to the Josh Deets philosophy. I don't quit on a garment just because it got a little age. My favorite camo coveralls were bought new in 1995, and they look like it too. I have some that are older, but they must have shrunk over the years.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Default RE: Hunting Clothes

I don't have the money to buy new camo all the time, its not worth it especially in ohio because you gotta wear hunter orange during gun season. The 2 best investments i made was Carhart Realtree Hardwoods Bibs and a Mossy Oak Bushmaster Hunting jacket that is warm and 100% water proof. It is also reversible one side is camo and the other is Hunter Orange. Probably the only purchases i will make before next year is a pair of really nice, warm boots and a bunch of wool socks.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually only replace things I ruin.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am wearing stuff I bought as far back as 92. The hat I will not gunhunt without was bought new in 1989. Believe I got every brand of camo ever made..lol.If it still looks decent and doesnt fall apart I keep wearing it. Most of my stuff is so old its actually still stamped "Made in USA!" I always said thats why it lasted so long! Long live Trebark!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: retrieverman

Do you feel the need to buy new hunting clothes on a regular basis? Do you have to have the newest camo patterns?

If I have the extra money I would rather spend it on another deer stand or a better set of butchering knife's. I feel I don't need to keep up in the fashion world like Paris Hilton.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I've been mostly wearing my "Cammies" that my best Uncle Sam bought me. He let me keep them all when I retired from the Navy 4 years ago. I am going shopping today though for a decent set of coveralls. It is supposed to be near zero tomorrow morning when I head to the tree stand. I was a bit chilled last week. This year so far the only things I've added are a round 'hot seat' and one of those hand muff thingys that has an inside pocket for handwarmers. The hot seat I hook to my belt in back with a carabiner. It hangs around while I walk to the tree stand, then is right there available when I sit down. The hand muff has been a real finger saver this week.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

It seems the older I get my favorite clothes of all kinds seem to shrink, thus I have to buy some new ones. Maybe it is the extra 30# I put on over the last few years........
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i buy new camo when the pattern fades out too much...but i also wear some old Realtree Treebark from who knows what year that are my dads.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

I buy what's left at the end of the season after all of the "I need new camo for my hunting trip" guys pick through it.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Retrieverman, my favorite movie! I still cry when Gus dies! I have been replacing some of my hunting clothes this year, most of it is worn out from 1990! Funny thing is, whats not worn out, is still shrinking!
I'm not into the new fads in camo, GI issue still works. I also like the original Realtree. I've been "touching" close to deer with it! Most of my new stuff is Mossy Oak. I'm not going to a fashion show, I'm going hunting!

Quick Reply: Hunting Clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.