Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

public hunting land

Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Default public hunting land

what kind of public hunting land is there in the mid west from texas to minnisota around montana, kansas etc. as far as killing a big buck. would it be worth the gas and license or are you better off to pay an outfitter
Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: public hunting land

That's a huge area to cover.....
I've always found the farther north you go, the bigger the average size is.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Spike

I should clarify a bit, more north and west. The east tend to have much smaller deer.

Montana has good size deer, Texas has small deer.

When I first moved to Texas many years ago, from CA, I couldn't find the deer... then one day one was pointed out to me... I thought it was a dog....

I know I'll get lots of crap for that... but I was so accustomed to getting deer that weigh 200+ cleaned, they just aren't that common in Texas... My dad has some 1500 acres in the hill country, and around 200-300 blinds that he used to rent out..... (no more hunting allowed out there now though.... step mom is a bambi lover....)
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Spike

There is a lot of public land in Iowa and the best way to find out where it is is to get an "Iowa sportsman's atlas". It has map of every county in the state and all of the public land posted in it. When i say all public land I mean it has all campgrounds,lakes,public hunting,river accesses and contact infromation for every DNR officer in the state. Also it has numbers for hotels. I am pretty sure there is the same thing for the other states too.