Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Amount of Blood?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Amount of Blood?

now its snowwing

Now that is REALLY bad news! I shot a doe this past weekend when it was snowing moderately. I aimed behind the shoulder because I like minimal meat damage or broken bones. As is usually the case with a shot like that the deer ran maybe 30 to 50 yards just out of my sight. I knew where the deer probably dropped and I waited maybe 20 minutes before I got down off the stand and walked towards the deer. I had no problem finding it, but the amazing part was just how quickly even a moderate snow can cover up a deer! That snow really sticks to that hide. I guess in your case you will see the antlers since they are a good sized, but now you probably need to look even harder than before because the body will not be as visible as it would have before the new snow.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

No more need to say you jumped him way too many times. There is a very high probability you would have found him dead in one of the first couple beds had you waited until morning. In any case, the amount of times he bedded downwhile beingpursuedmakes me believe he is probably fatally wounded. Keep up the search.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Don't give up, read my story on the Black Powder section on this forum called "Bitter Sweet Recovery", it's now on the 4th or 5th page back. It will inspire you I promise!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

His tracks are so easily discerned from the other deer because of his size but with the snow its more of just stumbling upon him.If hes dead im sure the coyotes have found him and thats part of the reason why I didnt want to leave him over night.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless there is a real bad problem with coyotes in your area I wouldn't say that they have found him yet. I myself wouldn't trust the meat anymore since it has been 24 hours or more since your shot be it cold temperatures or not.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Steve863, yeh I'm not sure about the meat. Last night was like 15deg and today got to 32 or so. We have a pretty serious coyote problem untill you go to hunt them. Lately I see more coyote tracks than deer. They were out last night, however not anywhere near where we were tracking.

TC209X50, your post was pretty inspirational. Hopefully we find him.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

TC209X50- your deer stopped bleeding, did it clott and stop bleeding? Or did the hole plug and fill up inside?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

After jumping him out of the bed the first time you should have backed out and gone back the following morning at daylight. You would have probably have found him piled up in the second bed. Now I would say it is is looking doubtful.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

If I had to guess I'd say it filled from inside, when I did recover him and rolled him to the side there was less than a 2" circle of blood on the ground that had come out the exit hole. So he either filled the hole or truly didn't have any left to put out. The most effective search you can do is get a couple of guys together and do 30-50yrd diameter circles from the last sight of blood and keep going out bigger and bigger but make sure you make complete circles. I'm often commandeered for others to help them with their searches and this is very effective.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There never dead till they are in the truck. Take your time finding them and dont get excited.

Quick Reply: Amount of Blood?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.