Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot the ones with the spots

Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Shoot the ones with the spots

A few years ago I read an article about a lady hunter that shot the smallest deer she saw. She would often pass up on good size bucks in favor of fawns. Why did she do this? She made it very clear in her article that she hunted for the meat, not the trophy bucks. The older the deer, the tougher the meat. When a buck is in rut, the hormones can add an unfavorable taste to the meat.

This lady hunter also commented how she was usually the camp cook. So she shot the smallest deer to take back to camp and cook it right then and there.

Having a nice big rack of horns on the wall is nice, but having good quality deer meat in the freezer is just as nice, if not better. When I serve deer meat to guest, I want them to say - "that sure is good, what is it?" What I do not want is my guest saying, "that sure is tough, and it smells funny, are you sure its good to eat?"

The deer hunting community is obsessed with big horns. Which is fine and dandy for the trophy hunter. A few months ago, maybe a year ago, it was outdoor life or field and stream magazine that had a write up - the obsession with big racks is killing the deer hunting community. And in a way, that statement is true. Those deer are there to eat, not just for the horns.

The mind set, the bigger the horns, the better - is backwards. Its about the hunt and the quality of meat. A 6 point deer with a small rack can give the hunter a good hunting experience, just like a 10 point can. The 6 point might just be better eating.

After all, hunting is not just about "killing." Its about being in nature, returning to our primitive state where its just the hunter and the hunted. Most of todays hunters have forgotten what the "hunt" is all about. Did our ancestors hang horns on the walls and tell all their buddies about how big their deer was? Well maybe. But the meat, and the chase of the hunt was more important.

Then there is the theory of killing the bigger bucks reduces the quality of the breeding population. True predators do not kill the biggest and the strongest, they kill the small and the weak. Trophy hunting goes against natural predator instints. If we were to really follow in the foot steps of our primitive ancestors, and real predators we would kill the smaller deer. Just like what real predators like wolves and lions do. Does a wolf take down the biggest and strongest? No, the pack takes down the weak, the slow and the sick. Thus keeping the deer population strong.

My cousin told me the hunting lease he is on is kicking people off for shooting small deer. All the management wants harvested is trophy bucks. Not everyone likes the taste of buck in rut meat. For some reason, even though does are over populated, the land management does not want does shot.

Taking out the strong, only makes the herd weaker. Last month I got a 9 point, and my son got a 6 point. The next deer we shoot might be the smallest thing we see.

This thread is named after one of the articles I read in outdoor life or field and stream. I can not remember which one it was. If someone here remembers reading that same article, please say so. There was one article about a lady hunter that shot the smallest deer she saw. Then there was another article about the hunting communities obession with horns.

Sure, I like a nice set of horns hanging on the wall. But I like opening that freezer and saying "yea,,, baby!" as well.

So which one is more important, the horns or the meat. Having a good hunting experience regardless of the size of the deer, or having a big rack of horns?

To me, its about the hunt, being in the woods pre-season, doing the tracking, taking pictures, feeling the wind in my face. If the deer I get has a nice rack, then so be it. If the deer has a small rack so be it as well. There is no need in waiting for this "monster" buck to come out and having an empty freezer all year. If I get a 6 point or better, or a doe and my freezer is full, then I had a good hunting season.

The story about the 9 point I got in November - http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2492538
Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Default RE: Shoot the ones with the spots

ORIGINAL: ~kev~

So which one is more important, the horns or the meat. Having a good hunting experience regardless of the size of the deer, or having a big rack of horns?
Thats why you get 2 tags........she is right though....the smaller the better tasting!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 PM

To each there own I guess. I personally could care less about the freezer. I hunt because I can. And big bucks are why I go. But growing up I would say about 75% of our meals were venison. Out of neccessity.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:32 PM

I have to admit that I wrestle from time to time in my own mind the idea of hunting the biggest and the best. Like you said, in a predator/prey relationship, the predator usually takes the small and the weak. What we as humans tend to do is just the opposite.

I am kind of new to hunting (about 8 years and only have shot 3 deer) so that probably affects some of my thinking. I have no problem with shooting the first doe or fawn I see. I've never had the opportunity to take a mature buck, but I hope someday I do. (Ok, I saw the biggest 10 point I have ever seen while hunting standing 30 yards broadside earlier this year. No shot. Special MLhunt and I only had an antlerless tag. DOH!) My first deer was a year and a half old buck, but since that time, I have let all the small bucks I see get a free pass. I guess I let the little bucks walk because 1.) I love seeing big bucks in the woods and you can't see them grow up if you shoot them and 2.) I respect the trophy hunters out there that do want to preferentially harvest a mature buck even though that is not where I am at. For those reasons I let the little bucks alone. Shooting a deer is not so important to me that I can't let a small buck go by. Does and fawns (even button bucks) get no preferential treatment. The little ones sure are good eating. Our season is late enough that at least there are no spots on the fawns.

You have some really good thoughts kev and they are ones that I have thought about a lot. I do think it is mostly about the hunt, but I willsay that since I started all this crazy nonsense at age 38 ,getting a successful shot on a deer is still a challenge for me and the ultimate goal. I guess I'm still evolving as a hunter so my opinions may change over the years. I think that is pretty natural.

Good post!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no problem shooting a weaned fawn, a doe, a spike, 4-pointer, 10 pointer or whatever is legal where you hunt. BUT to advocate shooting an illegalspotted fawn is kinda stupid.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me it's about the shot that I want to take-whether it's a 4.5 yr old buck or a 6 month old button buck.I've taken my share of older deer and younger deer--most likely will continue to do so
Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Doesn't matter whether they have spots or not, knee high or shoulder high here. Only thing that matters is that if it doesn't have at least two inches of bone on top of it's head it has to have a tag on it unless it's an either sex day. I try not to shoot at, or rather miss in my case, anything that is less than about 70 pounds or so. I have a hard time justifying, to myself, killing a small deer. I think it would make me feel like I'd just stomped a kitten to death. I don't just hunt for antlers though, I hunt because I want to eat the meat and fill the freezer. Any headgear would be a bonus I guess.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I have no problem shooting a weaned fawn, a doe, a spike, 4-pointer, 10 pointer or whatever is legal where you hunt. BUT to advocate shooting an illegalspotted fawn is kinda stupid.
Well around here a Deer with spots is not illegal.

I have never shot one with spots.But some I sure wouldn't pass

big rockpile
Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 PM

If I actually saw spots, I would not shoot. For me, it just wouldn't seem right for some reason. Not that I'm saying other people can't do it. That's just what I personally wouldn't shoot. Otherwise, anything that walks past is dead.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I hunted just for the meat, I would quit hunting. I generate a portion of my income raising beef cattle, and quite frankly, I like beef better than venison. I can buy meat in a store or raise my own for less money than what venison costs me per pound. I love to hunt and have killed 7 deer this season (so far) between the two states that I hunt. I have plenty of venison and have given a fair share of mine to a low income family. I don't really like the term, but I guess I am a "trophy" hunter.

Quick Reply: Shoot the ones with the spots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.