Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My father and I

Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Default RE: My father and I

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Someday when you are a father, you will learn what children mean to their parents. My father rarely dropped what he was doing to come and help me, but would give me advice anytime day or night. As he laid dying in the local hospice, he told me that he had been hard on me to make sure I succeeded in life. He also told me he was very proud of me and how well I had raised my children. He went on to tell me things he remembered fondly which included getting morels, fish, pheasant, and venisonfrom me every year, my son and I going over and shoveling his drive and sidewalks, my son and I going over and mowing, the list went on and on. He told me that watching my son and I do so many things together made him realize he failed by not physically helping me when I needed it. It was one of the best times I ever had with my father. Since your dad made the 3+ hour drive to help you, do something nice for him like show up unexpectedly and take him to do something he enjoys doing. It'll give him a fond memory forever.
Great lesson and sage advice....I tip my hat to you AF.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice!

I think we were both a little disappointed that he wasn't there when I shot him. I love hunting, but most of all I love hunting with my friends and more importantly my father. It felt very lonely until he arrived.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 AM

This one deserves a bump!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Buck. Congrats, on more than one level...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM

amazing story, amazing deer, sounds like you are blessed with a wonderful father
Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. congrats. You have a very special Dad.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great hunt and in the end, family is all there really is.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: newguy23

I am sure most of you are like me... We learned to hunt from our father. We all probably think our father's are the most accomplished hunters around. I never really loved to hunt until after college, and now i would say I spend most of my leisure time doing hunting involved activities.

Anyway, I took this nice 11-pointer this year and my dad was not around (the first time I have taken a deer without him being there). I called him on the phone (3-hours away) and told him a shot a brute (225-250 pounds) and did not know what to do... Needless to say he jumped in his car and drove three hours to help me load it into my truck and get it checked in. This is something I will never forget.

I think this photo is priceless!

WOW Awesome Buck!..........Hunter On His Own!.........Congrat's
Old 12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Thought you guys might enjoy a picture showing the buck's mass...

Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

In this day and age with emails and pictures I give a big hats off to your POP. He truely sounds like a great dad! Sometimes Dads may not always says certain things.Whenthere aredads like yours that will drive three hours to helphisson out, I think that says it all!
Congratson a great buckand a father!
Crutch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.