Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Cutting heads of roadkill bucks? >

Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Lately I have been seeing alot of headless dead deer laying by the roads. I was just wondering how many of you have actually stopped and cut off a bucks head?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Guilty, probably three counts. But I usually take the whole deer and dispose of the carcass behind the house for coyote bait. Got a whole wall of nut'n but skull mounts. Some found in woods, some roadkill, but mostof 'em I killed.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

One morning my wife came back from dropping my daughter off at work and she told me about a big buck laying on side of road. Whe i got out there, there was a state trooper there cutting the horns off it. Turns out another trooper hit it at about 80 miles an hour! He wrecked the car and was taking the horns as a momento.

Last week someone hit a big ten pointer and by the time I heard about it and got there the ehad was gone. I wouldnt cut the head off if I had time I would just scalp around the horns and cut the skull cap off.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it once, thats only because I was the first to find it i guess. I've seen other headless deer too.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why on Earth would you want the head of a roadkill buck?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Why on Earth would you want the head of a roadkill buck?
U can use the antlers for just about anything, rattling horns. momentos, decoration, knife handles.

I have personelly taken antlers off 2 road kill bucks. The first one was in the middle of a couple bars alongside a country raod that have pet bears () and it still had its velvet on, so me and my cousin both took an antler. Its a pretty neat conversation starter. The other was from a buck that was dead near one of my non-hunting freinds house. I took the antlers off and moved the body into the woods. I gave them to my brother for rattling antlers.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:45 PM

I have not. Only because I have not seen a dead buck on the road. Only doe. I will let you know when I do.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never have, but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you aren't claiming it as your trophy.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

The only time I ever attempted this, I got caught in a ditch by a State Highway Patrol. He ran me through the ringer and said that this was on a state highway, etc. He ended up letting me go and I have never thought about it again.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is illegal, or at least it is here in illinois! but even if i were to stop i dont carry a saw in the truck with me, so im kinda out of luck!

Quick Reply: Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.